All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rail Gun Project

Move Thread LAN_403
newtoengineering
Thu Nov 14 2013, 04:35AM
newtoengineering Registered Member #40121 Joined: Mon Nov 11 2013, 04:07AM
I am making a rail gun for fun and I need some help. I will be using 5 1000uF 450V PCB dip radial electrolytic capacitors as my power source. I plan on making the rails about 8 inches long.

Should I use this type of capacitor as my power source?
How do I make sure that they are charged to no more than 450v?
Do I have to factor in their capacitance?
Are these rails long enough?

Pictures:

One of the photos will show my concept for the rifle. I plan to build the rifle on top of a wood plank and there will be two handles to hold it. The rails will be bolted down and the wires from the switch will connect to a pair of bolts. There will be an analog voltmeter (digital if I must) and the capacitor bank will most likely be in the formation on a dice (four in each corner and one in the middle). To control the current, I will have a switch, which is located above the handle.

Should I use an analog voltmeter?
Is there a certain type of switch I should use?

Breech:

Since there is a set distance between the rails (x axis) and the acrylic (y axis), I have to have a perfectly fitting breech and ammo. I will decide the size later, but I need to know if my breech idea will be effective. Basically, I will have either a non-conductive space or longer breech for the ammo to go into via a hole in the top. Behind the ammo, there is a bolt that has a pole drilled through it (top drawing). Connected to those poles is surgical tubing that connects to nobs on the outside of the breech mechanism (possibly long screws) (top drawing). To stop the bolt from hitting the ammo, there is a notch in the bottom that is big enough for a small rod to fit in (top drawing). By pulling this rod down, the bolt can slide forward and hit the projectile (right drawing). To guide the poles sticking from the bolt, there is a sleeve cut out from its casing (also ensures the notch is in the same place each time) (right drawing). This is all attached to the rails and the "anchor point" is the point that the tubing connects to (left drawing). As seen from the rifle concept drawing, the pull down trigger is accessible from the handle.

1384403571 40121 FT0 Photo 3

1384403571 40121 FT0 Photo 2

Thanks!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: