Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

polarity of line filter

Move Thread LAN_403
lokeycmos
Sun Oct 27 2013, 07:36PM
lokeycmos Registered Member #2553 Joined: Fri Dec 18 2009, 01:36PM
i have a question regarding how to connect a line filter to a tesla coil. I have attached a picture of my filter. I have it connected as it is labled; line to mains and load to the coil. I read today that it should be hooked up the opposite way on this site(bottom of the page):

Link2

the way I have it seems to work ok. just looking for some input on this. thanks
1382902565 2553 FT0 Line Filter
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Oct 27 2013, 07:47PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I would never connect a line filter to a Tesla coil, especially not a solid state one. The common mode choke doesn't help at all, it can only make things worse.
MrFlatox
Sun Oct 27 2013, 08:27PM
MrFlatox Registered Member #9349 Joined: Mon Jan 07 2013, 08:50AM
Would you please develop why it might be worse to have one than none ? I am curious because I plan to have one on my coil.
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Oct 27 2013, 09:30PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
A large portion of the secondary current flows capacitively to the primary, and in a solid state coil, the primary is AC-coupled to the input terminals (live and neutral). Connecting a common mode choke to such coil causes a large voltage to develop on the choke (as it is designed to have large inductance) and so on the DC bus relative to ground, which can result in internal damage of the IGBTs, GDT/CT spark over, damaged control electronics etc.
For such coil, it is best only to use the phase-to-earth capacitors (usually rated "Y").

For an SGTC this might not be of such a big concern, anyway I would remove the common mode choke if you can.
GrantX
Tue Jan 13 2015, 02:51PM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread for such a simple question, but it's been bugging me. I have been working away on a small SSTC in my spare time (quite sporadically). I had planned the input power section to consist of a typical common-mode EMI filter on the AC side, with a single high-amp diode to provide half-wave DC pulses to the bridge. After the diode there is a series RF choke and a 2uF MKP decoupling cap across the DC output and neutral, with another smaller cap coupling the neutral to protective/RF earth (this cap is obviously redundant due to the caps in filter before the diode).

After discovering this thread I presume it is best to leave out the common mode choke on the AC side, and just have 3 Y class MKP caps coupling live neutral and earth together? I also presume the RF choke in series with the diode probably isn't critical either, since the 2uF cap should direct any RF to the neutral and then to earth via the class Y cap, so the diode shouldn't encounter any trouble.
Sigurthr
Wed Jan 14 2015, 12:56AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
FWIW, with regards to EMI reduction with SSTCs, especially high power CW ones, I've had excellent success with Class-Y and Class-X capacitors to RF couple all the mains conductors together. I placed one filter assembly at the coil's wall plug connection and another at the wall outlet of sensitive electronics in the area. I can run my large SSTC full power at a distance of less than 2 meters from my electronics with no interference problems.

Depending on the inductance of the RF choke you may want to leave it out. I find parallel capacitance to be far better at blocking TC related noise than series inductance anyway, given that there's so much capacitive coupling going on who's to say a series inductance will even do anything when you consider the inherent parasitic capacitances bypassing the inductor.
GrantX
Wed Jan 14 2015, 02:38AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Sigurthr wrote ...

FWIW, with regards to EMI reduction with SSTCs, especially high power CW ones, I've had excellent success with Class-Y and Class-X capacitors to RF couple all the mains conductors together. I placed one filter assembly at the coil's wall plug connection and another at the wall outlet of sensitive electronics in the area. I can run my large SSTC full power at a distance of less than 2 meters from my electronics with no interference problems.

Depending on the inductance of the RF choke you may want to leave it out. I find parallel capacitance to be far better at blocking TC related noise than series inductance anyway, given that there's so much capacitive coupling going on who's to say a series inductance will even do anything when you consider the inherent parasitic capacitances bypassing the inductor.

Thanks for the reply, I'll leave out the common mode choke itself and just capacitively couple the three mains conductors. The RF choke on the DC side of the diode isn't very large. About 12-14 turns on a ~26mm OD (T106 size, IIRC) yellow/white 'mix-26' iron powder core. Calculated inductance is somewhere around 12-18uH, and my multimeter agreed. Hopefully it's small enough that no large voltage will develop across it. It probably won't have any effect on performance at all, I just threw it in as an afterthought. If there's any problems it won't matter too much, since I'll be switching to a full-wave smoothed supply eventually.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: