All today's birthdays', congrats!
David.Lightman (54)
jonny5 (40)

Next birthdays
04/18 David.Lightman (54)
04/18 jonny5 (40)
04/19 Nicko (56)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

2.4Kj to play with....

Move Thread LAN_403
Thomas W
Fri Jun 28 2013, 11:12AM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
Hey guys,
ive recently ordered 2x 450v @ 12000uf capacitors for an amazing price.
together its about 2.4Kj availble, the capacitors are made by Cornell D.

Im deciding between 2 things:
Coilgun:
in series:
Link2
in parallel:
Link2

or a Electrothermal gun:

or just a old railgun but im not to sure about it
because i think i need more capacitors to do that.
Wizzup
Fri Jun 28 2013, 11:34AM
Wizzup Registered Member #3302 Joined: Sun Oct 10 2010, 02:21PM
I suggest an ETG if you have never built one because it is completely different than coilguns and also maybe easier to design as there is no need to worry about suckback etc that is a problem with coilguns. Also with an ETG the projectile doesnt need to be ferromagnetic so you can shoot anything you can fit in the barrel.

For an ETG it is good if the caps have low ESR because in an ETG the caps are pretty much shorted out so the ESR affects a lot.

Also use kJ instead of Kj, it annoys me lol
Signification
Thu Feb 12 2015, 10:11AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
Wizzup, you wrote:

"Also use kJ instead of Kj, it annoys me lol"

Kj would REALLY annoy me, I -do- use kJ, (capital J because it is someone's name) somewhere I read, in spite of this, that when expressing units ALL letters should be lowercase. ie kj. I just can't seem to stop the kJ format. ...just thought I would add my two cents to what most would think of as a trivial subject--but not so in writing technical papers for highly respected publishers.
Shrad
Thu Feb 12 2015, 10:45AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I'd be curious if one was to try using molecules which release big quantities of gas, like KMnO4 or other compounds which release a big quantity of gases when burning or being decomposed...
Dédé!
Fri Feb 13 2015, 03:00PM
Dédé! Registered Member #4932 Joined: Thu May 17 2012, 01:42PM
Or an azide like sodium azide (the gas producing chemical in airbags). It is however very very toxic.
klugesmith
Fri Feb 13 2015, 03:48PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Permanganate? Azide? Why not black powder, or regular smokeless powder, or match heads? smile
I thought we were talking about electrothermal guns.

Signification, it's easy to find consistent references for proper use of SI units. For example, Link2
A common mistake is to confuse the rules for unit names, symbols, and abbreviations. kj and kiloJoule and KJ are wrong; kilojoule and kJ are right. The symbol for second is s, not sec. I think forum readers have no problem excusing "u" instead of lowercase Greek mu, or omitting the degree symbol in temperature values, because the right way is much harder to type. There's no easy answer for the ohm symbol, but I can't fault the style borrowed from European schematics: 220R, 4K7, 0R15. Better than datasheets where the capital omega is misrendered as W.
Signification
Sun Feb 15 2015, 02:54PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
Another little 'peeve' I have with these things concerns charge (Q) and current (A). Charge has units of Columbus. Derivable from Coulomb's law F=kqQ/(r^2) using SI units of unity. For example, one Q = 6.24EE18 "electrons". Now, the Ampere is the time rate of flow of charge or one Amp is the flow of one Coulomb through a cross sectional area of wire per second--or in more mathematical terms A=dQ/dt. BUT you see, and hear, EVERYWHERE, amperage expressed as the "FLOW OF CURRENT" i.e. "how much current is FLOWING through the circuit". This is properly expressed as "how much CHARGE is flowing through the circuit". Mathematically current is dQ/dt NOT dA/dt = (d^2) Q / (dt)^2. In the latter expression this generates the question "How much charge is ACCELERATING through the circuit".

There are actually cases of flowing current (dA/dt). This would be called "charge JERK" as the third time derivative is refereed to as "JERK". i.e. successive time derivatives: 'velocity', 'acceleration, 'jerk'

One actual example involving dA/dt that comes to mind is found in the units of inductance--the Henry: 1 H = 1 Volt per (Amp PER second) = V/(A/s) = V/(charge JERK). (to be rigorously correct mathematically, the equation would require two differentials).

NOW, to fill in this "blank": Charge (Q), current (A), "BLANK" (?): what should we call the rate of change of current (dA/dt)??
DerAlbi
Sun Feb 15 2015, 03:42PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Dude, this thread is from Jun 2013. Do you really think your Information is in any kind still relevant to Thomas W ?
And at LEAST if you revive the dead thread with useless information about your way of writing kj, Kj, _kJ_... then stay with an "I" if you describe Currents. Your "A" stands for Amps, not current. Thats as if you use "H" for inductance "L". One thing is the Unit the other issnt........

To sumarize: you throw useless information in a dead thread which has no relevance to anyone anymore just to make this kind of mistake that itched you in the first place. Great work

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: