Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

flat copper coil...?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
RateReducer
Thu Jun 20 2013, 08:46PM Print
RateReducer Registered Member #4603 Joined: Wed Apr 25 2012, 07:33PM
Hi. Has anyone tried to make a coil with flat copper? I have some flat copper laying around... 37 x 0,1mm. I would wind it with a foil between the copper layers.

just like this. ------ = foil _____=copper

--------
_______
--------
_______
BARREL
--------
_______
--------
________

I hope this is understandable...
Shall i give it a try or is this idea just stupid?
Thomas W
Fri Jun 21 2013, 12:09AM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
I assume by foil you mean a insulator.

I wouldnt think it would be that effective, as its just like winding one turn then another turn ontop of it, the ferther away it is from the barrel, the less effective it is i guess, so i think just winding normally would be much more efficient..
RateReducer
Fri Jun 21 2013, 08:39AM
I tried it with the whole flat copper. I used it "as it is" wound around a mounting from a choke. It worked but i think it is very inefficient...

Now i want to wind a common coil. How does the perfect current waveform through the inductor look like?
A huge positive peak with nearly no ringing? 1ms duration?
Wizzup
Fri Jun 21 2013, 09:24AM
Wizzup Registered Member #3302 Joined: Sun Oct 10 2010, 02:21PM
I used this simulator to design my coilguns coil: Link2
The authors site is down so I thought I could upload it there because it is very handy, it includes projectile simulation aswell.

The simulator is pretty tricky to use because it has no failsafes for bad values, so if you for example set the projectile weight to zero the whole program will crash so be careful.

Here is an example of a coil I made for my old 240J cap bank: Link2
RateReducer
Fri Jun 21 2013, 04:09PM
Thanks! I tried a "quick and dirty" setup @ 270J. 170 turns 1mm wire. Shoots through 6mm plywood shades
I think i will try a 2 Stage design soon...
Yandersen
Thu Jul 11 2013, 09:50PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
I do dream about flat copper coil! I want to see at least one in action ever! I found that the tighter the coil wound the higher it's inductance is: take the same wire of the same length, rewind it tightly and nicely turn-to-turn forming the coil of the same length and internal diameter - and induction become higher. FEMM agrees, it is true. The performance of the coil is greatly depends on an inductance to resistance product (heat losses are smaller in tightly wound coil and even pull force is stronger). So the less the air gaps and insulation trash inbetween the copper, the higher efficiency can be achieved from the coilgun. Comparing insulated round wire to a flat copper with a top layer of insulation we have over 20% more copper in a coil. Such benefit may even allow us to use aluminium foil instead of copper wire to lower gun's weight without drop in coil efficiency. But I would prefer copper flat tape of coil-width, insulated. If only I have one...
It would also easier to wound: 2cm flat tape of 0.1mm thickness is electrically equal to wire of 1.6mm in diameter, but so much more flexible! This will allow to wind tightly-packed mechanically rigid coils.

Just recently I found the path to flat copper tape - it turned to be used as EMI supression shielding material and can be bought at digikey for example:
Link2
But the best option will be an insulated tape. Anyone knows the sources?
klugesmith
Thu Jul 11 2013, 10:19PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
1. Re. winding with copper strip (ribbon) vs. wire.

The strip coil will behave exactly the same as a wire coil of the same metal, if they have the same ID, OD, length, and number of turns.

And as I've said many times before:
Within that coil volume, you can trade off the wire area against the number of turns, with NO effect on magnetic field strength and duration.
Provided that you make a complementary trade off between capacitance and voltage, and have the same stored energy. This is like rewinding motors or transformers for different voltage/current tradeoffs, with no change in efficiency or conductor mass.

As Yandersen said:
Strip has the possibility of getting a better "fill factor", to reduce the average radius for a given cross-sectional area of conductor.
And with only 1 turn per layer, it's much easier to make nice pretty windings.

2. Here is another source of copper strip: Link2

1373581141 2099 FT155205 Corrys
Yandersen
Thu Jul 11 2013, 11:00PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Slug repelling copper tape? Smart! :) Will try Home Depot, I guess...
What about the insulation then? Using a scotch tape as an insulator for a bare copper tape may not be an optional solution - both tapes have almost the same thickness, so no copper density benefit may be achieved then. Moreover, the voltage the insulator has to sustain is tiny-small: for a coil of 1cm in thickness wound with 0.1mm-thick tape (resulting in 100 layers) fed with 450V will result in 4.5V between any pair of adjacent turns - almost nothing, so insulation layer can be even thinner than round wire usually have. So it makes sense to just apply some nail polish on one side of a copper tape to make insulation strong enough to protect turns from short-circuiting?
klugesmith
Fri Jul 12 2013, 12:58AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Here's one way to improve the fill factor with thin metal foil.
Use two or more layers of metal (electrically a single conductor), then one layer of insulation.
That has the same effect as winding with thicker wire.

Here are some ideas for getting thicker strips of conductor (aluminum, not copper).
- painted slats from a scrap Venetian blind
- painted aluminum sheet made for gutters or roof flashing - need to slit it to a useful width.
- a large aluminum beverage can, cut in a helix.

1373590349 2099 FT155205 Dscn7682

Aluminum from those sources is likely to be alloys significantly less conductive than the commercially pure element. (Same might apply to copper foil, copper pipe, etc. if not specified for electrical use.) I would always start by measuring the sheet resistance, in milliohms per square, of a sample. From that and the thickness, we can get the bulk resistivity.

I expect that permanent electrical connections can be made by soldering to the aluminum. Will soon be trying that for a personal project using a couple of these coils: Link2 Anyone have any recommendations for fluxes & solders?

Ash Small
Fri Jul 12 2013, 12:06PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
klugesmith wrote ...

I expect that permanent electrical connections can be made by soldering to the aluminum. Will soon be trying that for a personal project using a couple of these coils: Link2 Anyone have any recommendations for fluxes & solders?

There are a few ideas in this thread: Link2

Adhesive copper tape could be used, as it is conductive. You could then solder to the copper, depending on the application.

EDIT: the video in the last post looks like it might be exactly what you want.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: