Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC project From Italy

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
JoeBonanno
Thu Jun 06 2013, 01:00PM Print
JoeBonanno Registered Member #14660 Joined: Mon Apr 22 2013, 04:05PM
Hi to all!

i'm Joe, writing from Italy.

From few weeks i'm planning to build a DRSSTC. Is the fist time for me around Solid State. i had build a lot of classic Spark Gap TC and Vacuum Tubes TC, using from little PL519 tube, to Big GU81M!

i decided to walk through the Solid State Universe after have watching some interesting videos on YouTube. it's incredible the capabilities of SSTC compared to an Classical spark gap Tesla!

So, i started to browse some website and acquires all the info that i need. At this time this is the state of the project:

Studying over and realization of Steve Ward UD (Eric Goodchild 2.5 Relase)

Dsc0823l

(tested and run Great!!)

Interrupter, classical BPS-PW and Burst Mode (Custom PCB)

Dsc0824ag

(Tested, soon with Tosling Optic Fiber Transmitter!)

OCD and FB-CT 1:1000

Dsc0821w

(soon Gate Transf. and measure Transf.)

2X 6000uF 400V Capacitor

Dsc0827lc

2 different type of large IGBT, Semitrans SKM300GB12T4 and 403GB128D

Dsc0825me

( i'm planing to use the first ones, but i accept suggestion!)

I have also 25AWG (0.45mm) wire for the secondary, i calculated winding for obtain about 40Khz Toploaded!

it's all for the moment!
thanks for comprehension for my bad english and i accept all critics or suggestions!

Joe!
HV Enthusiast
Thu Jun 06 2013, 01:55PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Very nice work! Thanks for sharing the photos. I love seeing what others are doing in the DRSSTC world on the other side of the pond! Keep up the good work!
Physics Junkie
Thu Jun 06 2013, 05:19PM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
Cool! Everything looks good. No inductor on the UD, so you are not going to be using phase lead? (or was that just for testing purposes?) Just make sure to keep all your BUS and bridge connections tight and short to maintain lowest possible inductance.

Mind if I ask, what are the dimensions going to be for your secondary and topload?
JoeBonanno
Thu Jun 06 2013, 06:08PM
Yes, i planing to use Phase Lead but i have some problem to find variable inductors in Italy at the moment. but i will use it! actually just for testing purposes!!

Yes, short connection for lowest BUS inductance!! short as i can! For this reason i think to use SKM300GB12T4, its seems to be easier for short connection. and a little more fast and powerfull!!

I'm here for have suggestion and help, so.....sure.... i planing to use 250mm Diameter and 1000mm Eight using 0,45mm (25AWG) wire. My software say:

- 70,90khz of resonant f.
- 42,97khz of quarter wavelength
- 31,78pF Toroid capacitance required

its correct?
Physics Junkie
Thu Jun 06 2013, 07:17PM
Yeah that's all correct. I tried deepfriedneon.com with the dimensions and got 41kHz. So its right on target.
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jun 07 2013, 12:41AM
JoeBonanno wrote ...

Yes, i planing to use Phase Lead but i have some problem to find variable inductors in Italy at the moment. but i will use it! actually just for testing purposes!!

Yes, short connection for lowest BUS inductance!! short as i can! For this reason i think to use SKM300GB12T4, its seems to be easier for short connection. and a little more fast and powerfull!!

I'm here for have suggestion and help, so.....sure.... i planing to use 250mm Diameter and 1000mm Eight using 0,45mm (25AWG) wire. My software say:

- 70,90khz of resonant f.
- 42,97khz of quarter wavelength
- 31,78pF Toroid capacitance required

its correct?

If you're willing to pay just the postage, i'll send you some variable inductors.
JoeBonanno
Fri Jun 07 2013, 10:38AM
Really "EasternVoltageResearch" ?? thanks!!!

how can i send you the necessary money?

@Physics Junkie: very cool website, full of information and guideline! i usually use "Tesla Coil CAD" and "Tesla Map" (Google helps!!)

but,actually i have a doubt! i have bought 0,45mm wire double isolation and the final spessore is 0,50mm. Making calculation i have to consider 0,05mm of turns spacing, right?? final Freq. can change!!

And, how can i calculate the dimension and capacitance of this kind of toroid? Toroid

i have to consider it like a single solid toroid (classical way) or multi mini toroid parallel?

Thanks!
Steve Conner
Fri Jun 07 2013, 11:18AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I like the 128 series bricks! :)

I believe the skeleton toroid has almost the same capacitance as a solid toroid.
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jun 07 2013, 02:08PM
wrote ...

Really "EasternVoltageResearch" ?? thanks!!!

how can i send you the necessary money?

Just contact me via PM and send me your mailing address.
If the shipping is under a few bucks, don't worry a bout it. I'll send you the inductors and some free stickers.

Physics Junkie
Fri Jun 07 2013, 04:58PM
JoeBonanno wrote ...

@Physics Junkie: very cool website, full of information and guideline! i usually use "Tesla Coil CAD" and "Tesla Map" (Google helps!!)

but,actually i have a doubt! i have bought 0,45mm wire double isolation and the final spessore is 0,50mm. Making calculation i have to consider 0,05mm of turns spacing, right?? final Freq. can change!!

And, how can i calculate the dimension and capacitance of this kind of toroid? Toroid

i have to consider it like a single solid toroid (classical way) or multi mini toroid parallel?

Thanks!

I would trust the TeslaCAD and Teslamap to be more accurate , JavaTC is another good one. I've always used 0 for the spacing between turns, but doing it your way might be more accurate. I find it to be negligable, only ever making a difference of one or two kHz. I know that JavaTC usually takes this into account anyways, showing spacing between turns to be something like 0.0008 inches. The best way to find your secondary +top load frequency is with an oscilloscope and function generator.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: