Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Universal DRSSTC Driver V2.5 (Sold Out)

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Goodchild
Mon Apr 08 2013, 06:12AM Print
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Well I figured this is far enough along now that I would share it with you guys. This is a tweaked version of Steve Ward's UD2.1 (I call it the UD2.5). Basically it has all the PCB errors fixed from the UD2.1 and also has some added new features, most suggested by the people in the solid state Tesla coil community.

Probably the biggest add-on is the addition of the IFD95 fiber optic receiver. I know I lot of people use these units and now you can use it with the UD2 with no extra modifications! As an added bonus it also makes any coil compatible with interrupters using fiber of both types. The fiber units have OR operation so you can switch between using one or the other very easily.

As of now, it bench tested successively. I will put it in a DR by next week for test runs. I have high hopes!
I plan to host the board files on my website for anyone to use in the future.

Board files and notes here -> Link2

Here is a list of changes and add-ons:

Fixed PCB error in TL3116 feedback network
Linked schematic and PCB files in eagle
Added support for industrial fiber optics IFD95T or IFD95C fiber RX units
Changed GDT primary damping resistor to larger through hole for better heat dissipation
Chained 5Vreg input to 9Vreg output for better thermal performance in 5Vreg
Rotated all Vregs 90 degrees for easy heatsinking
Added socket system for phase lead inductor for quick swap
Changed phase lead select header to allow for LR or just R burden network (for debugging)
Added optional second parallel burden resistor in OCD network for larger coils
Electrolytic capacitors changed to through hole parts
LED header labels on underside of PCB
PW limiting circuit found in UD2 has been removed
Test points added for easy reading of OCD set point voltage (TP1)

All credit goes to Steven Ward for the original design of the UD2. LONG LIVE THE UD!

8630925598 C01d41545d Z

8630924324 B6ee2ff956 Z

8630924994 9297870883 Z

UPDATE 5/8/13 REV A

Well as I said originally this is a beta board at the moment. Someone pointed out to me in an email that I forgot a pull down resistor from the diode merge junction for the fiber OR operation. I have updated the board files and posted the new files on my website under the original link.

If you have already made one of my board an easy fix can be made by kludging a 1k resistor from the output of the diode junction/AND input to ground to act as a pull down. Check the new schematic for reference (resistor R21). I found it an easy fix using the vias on the board and a 1k through hole resistor.

8992921300 C7a45e3aa5

OK so I decided that I will be selling these boards fully assembled and tested now that I have a working reflow oven. I will be fabbing the UD2.5 Rev B boards price is as follows.

Fully assembled/Tested board -> $125 + Shipping
Board only -> $25 + Shipping

Boards will come by default with both fibers, vReg heat sink, and connectors installed. I can also do variations on this process if you are interested.

Other possible configs:

No connectors
No Fiber
Only SMD soldered
etc...

PM me if you are interested.

UD2.5 Rev B

9721756264 F4d4f93ca1 Z

9721755892 A93e846ba6 Z

9737290642 Cc432f274a Z

9734055611 23c521e7dc Z

9737294438 17504b7fc3 Z
Kizmo
Mon Apr 08 2013, 08:30AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Looks pretty sweet.

One thing i would like to see in UD2.5 (which is something i modified to my UD1.3 build) is undervoltage shutdown. If 24V rail for gate drive drops below 23Volts, the interrupter line gets disabled with NC small signal relay.

If controller looses power it SHOULD shut down before 5V logic goes crazy or igbt gates wont have enough potential for saturation.

Steve Conner
Mon Apr 08 2013, 10:34AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I agree so strongly that my drivers had this feature for the past 6 years. smile
Physics Junkie
Mon Apr 08 2013, 11:29AM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
Cool! I'm looking forward to the board files.

So all the parts are the same with the exception of the added FO and through hole components?
HV Enthusiast
Mon Apr 08 2013, 01:56PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Looks great!
One suggestion on the PCB routing.

When you have segregated ground planes (power /digital) sections, make sure you have a bridge between the planes anytime you have signals going between the two.

Basically, for this, if you have two gate signals coming from your digital side and then going to the power section side, keep them close together crossing the ground break, and then on the ground plane, put a little trace underneath them that connects both ground planes. This keeps the signals tightly coupled together. Otherwise, the return for those signals will go who knows where as it tries to make it back to the source.

EMC Guru Henry Ott overs this extensively in his book which is a must have for any power engineer!

Link2

You should definately check out the following book. Its the BIBLE in EMC/EME design and would be a great asset and if you have the opportunity to attend one of Henry Ott's course, definately take it! I have taken it 3 times so far and it probably has been the best engineering class i've ever taken.

Link2

Steve Conner
Mon Apr 08 2013, 02:01PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Henry Ott famously published a joke article, "10 ways to maximize emission from your product". Link2 He might have added #11, make your product a Tesla coil! smile
HV Enthusiast
Mon Apr 08 2013, 02:07PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Henry Ott famously published a joke article, "10 ways to maximize emission from your product". Link2 He might have added #11, make your product a Tesla coil! smile

I did fire up a coil for him about 10 years ago when he visited for a training session. He just shook is head! lol
Goodchild
Mon Apr 08 2013, 04:04PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
I like the idea of an UVLO. I will add this to the next revision.

Also EVR the point you made about the ground plane makes sense, however the one thing I worry about is two traces crossing the plane underneath, I see the possibly of a ground loop.

This board is mounting hole and electrically compatible with the UD2 and UD1.3, the fiber is even in the same place. Most of the parts are the same with the exception of the added parts and the parts that got changed to through hole. The board in the photo has a 7mm inductor footprint as well, but I plan to change this back to 10mm.
HV Enthusiast
Mon Apr 08 2013, 04:36PM
Yes, thats a concern.

However, you already have a large ground loop with the gate signal. If looking at the board if your gate signals are near the bottom and the bridge between planes at the top of the board, all your return circulating current will have to go all the way to the top of the board and return back down to get back to the source.

Of course, for this application and the low frequency nature of the gate signals, it probably doesn't really matter.

I know a big push by all the EMC experts in the industry is to get rid of split plane designs and go with single plane designs where components are properly segregated. In practice, its easier to control circulating currents with properly segregated boards and than to try creating a split plane configuration where a lot of thought has to go where signals are bridging planes, etc...

But in the end, this is just splitting hairs. We all know this is a solid design and works as is, so i'm just nitpicking. :)

But, definately buy the Henry Ott book if you can. It will help you out greatly as you continue your education and work in power electronics. Its the BIBLE!
teravolt
Tue Apr 09 2013, 07:29PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
can this board be used for a QCW and has the schematic changed much? when will it be relieced?
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: