All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

BIG electromagnet...

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Noah Hoppis
Sun Mar 24 2013, 08:09PM Print
Noah Hoppis Registered Member #10072 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2013, 05:12AM
I was wondering about constructing a large electromagnet for my cyclotron vs just buying one. Would plain steal or iron work? what about laminated? (if yes what kind of surface contact is required to transfer the magnetic flux?)
Ash Small
Sun Mar 24 2013, 09:15PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I know nothing about cyclotron magnets, but I assume it's just a huge, presumably DC, solenoid type thingy.

I imagine steel may have some benefits over iron, I read somewhere I think, that It's about 1.2 times as efficient than iron in this type of application, but you'd need to check this.

I imagine you just follow the usual advice for coils in general, but just think a bit bigger.

I imagine some of the coil gun builders can supply the maths for a 0.9T magnetic field.
doctor electrons
Sun Mar 24 2013, 09:35PM
doctor electrons Registered Member #2390 Joined: Sat Sept 26 2009, 02:04PM
Laminated steel cores are constructed as such to eliminate eddy currents in the core and stabilize the
larger field around the entire core. That's why most transformers, if not all, are constructed that way.
The larger electromagnets you see in scrap yards are a different story. They use a large solid steel or iron core.
They also have a backup battery system in case of power failure while making a pick. Generally that backup battery
only provides enough time to warn anyone in the area to get away! The latter is about as simple an electromagnet
as it gets. In both cases the coils are wound around the cores. Surface contact is not an issue because the core is magnetized by the flux generated by the energized coil. If the core is inside the flux it will magnetize.
klugesmith
Mon Mar 25 2013, 05:04AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Hi Noah.
Since your cyclotron magnet is DC, with a large gap between the poles:
- Laminations are unnecessary.
- Air gaps between core sections are no problem, if much thinner than the main gap.
They only matter in transformers and lifting magnets which ideally have -no- gap.
- at 0.9 teslas, materials more expensive than ordinary steel won't improve performance significantly.

Time to learn the difference between your B and your H. I'd recommend sticking with SI units, and reading a tutorial. Just found this one, which looks quite respectable. Link2
If you read the first five chapters, or equivalent in another reference, you'll be able to calculate the ampere-turns you need, and you'll understand what laminations are for.

Here's an alternate starting point. Link2

Good luck!
-Rich F.
Noah Hoppis
Mon Mar 25 2013, 11:23PM
Noah Hoppis Registered Member #10072 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2013, 05:12AM
I knew what lamination were for in transformers; to avoid eddy currents at 60 Hz AC and to stop unnecessary heating. The Questions were more posed towards whether the lamination would cause unnecessary loss, because 4"x1"x18" bar is much easier to get and bolt together than a several hundred pound magnet core!
Ash Small
Mon Mar 25 2013, 11:48PM
Noah Hoppis wrote ...

I knew what lamination were for in transformers; to avoid eddy currents at 60 Hz AC and to stop unnecessary heating. The Questions were more posed towards whether the lamination would cause unnecessary loss, because 4"x1"x18" bar is much easier to get and bolt together than a several hundred pound magnet core!

I think as long as it's steel, it's not going to matter much.
Steve Conner
Tue Mar 26 2013, 11:01AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
A cyclotron magnet needs a very uniform field. Any wiggles and lumps will break the beam up. Traditionally the field was tweaked by hand after assembly, by inserting steel shims between the magnet pole and the chamber lid.

I'm sure you could make a perfectly good magnet out of smaller steel bars bolted together, especially if you used some simulation beforehand to work out what the field would end up looking like. Maybe there would be some weird arrangement of bars that would give a more uniform field than the obvious arrangement.
klugesmith
Fri Apr 05 2013, 10:39PM
Stumbled on this uniform-field magnet on ebay. Link2 Its size can be guessed.

1365200932 2099 FT152392 Spec Magnet

Because of the small amount of wiring, and no plumbing, I bet it uses permanent magnets.
But... there may be some electromagnet coils also, to fine-tune field strength, for example as the permanent magnet temperatures change.

Along those lines, an amateur cyclotron magnet might be designed with main coils powered by rectified but unregulated mains voltage (aptly named). The natural inductance would limit current ripple to a few percent, if my calc's are right. Then smaller "vernier" coils using much less electrical power could be driven dynamically to cancel the effects of ripple current and mains voltage fluctuation.
Might not be worth the trouble, compared with just making a multi-kW regulated DC supply for the main coils.
Ash Small
Sat Apr 06 2013, 01:15AM
klugesmith wrote ...

Might not be worth the trouble, compared with just making a multi-kW regulated DC supply for the main coils.

How many kW will be required for 0.9T?

I was thinking a lead/acid battery bank would be the easiest way to provide a 'smoothed' supply, but how much power are we talking here?
klugesmith
Sat Apr 06 2013, 03:00PM
Depends on your pole diameter and gap length, and the resistivity of copper.
Got some dimensions in mind?
Last month Noah and I analyzed a design for D,G = 8",2". Then I did one for 3", 1" .
The unreviewed results (on the order of 3 or 4 kW and 1kW) aren't here now, but I'll post 'em later. Someone can compare them with historical & university cyclotron numbers.

Spreadsheet calculations demonstrated 2 principles.
1) You can design for any voltage by choice of wire gauge, with no change in power, coil size, or copper weight and cost.
2) You can reduce power by using more copper, but that needs longer or (less efficiently) wider coils, thus a bigger yoke.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: