All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coil construction

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Yandersen
Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:02PM Print
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Just want to share my technique of coil construction - maybe some of you would like to try it out:
Part 1, overview:

Part 2, practice:

Here are the results:

The technique is good for coils wound with <1mm wires as those are easily bend.

The major problem for me now is the long setting epoxy - it is required to fill the coil and is hard to find: epoxy commonly available now is 5min ones. Any ideas where to find an hour-hardening type of epoxy?
Ash Small
Tue Mar 12 2013, 12:25AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Your side of the pond I'd recommend West systems, here is a link to their website: Link2

Maybe the 206 slow hardner would be ok, but I linked to the 209 extra slow hardner, because you wanted 'slow'.
Yandersen
Tue Mar 12 2013, 12:55AM
Thanks a lot! Will go shopping tomorrow and try to find this one...
Yandersen
Fri Mar 15 2013, 03:10PM
I got 105 epoxy and 209 extra slow hardener. It cost me ~$100 - bottles are so big... In 10hr mix turns from liquid into sticky gel and it takes 2 days for the mix to harden. Did not tried on coils yet.
This extremely slow curing and big bottles size dictate the new strategy: many coils in one day. Kinda have a few winding machines available, prepare the excessive amount of epoxy, and wind many coils one by one. In a next couple days you got all of them ready. Still, I would recommend 206 slow hardener instead of 209 - that one is just too slow, but I don't want to spend another $40.

BTW, maybe you have a question already arized "why not to wind coils directly on the barrel?". Because during the winding side pressure of the wire is big and not uniform: even if washers were aligned well, they may get repulsed causing barrel under the coil to bend into an arc. When I was practicing on-barrel winding in my early coilgun prototype, I stopped on 4th stage from 8 planned due to this issue causing barrel to get curvy. I still use homemade rolled paper-epoxy barrels which are not strong, but thin and non-conductive, and as far as they stay straight, they work perfect. Modular coils get into the barrel like beads.

Recently I found that steel washers I keep using at the ends of a coil support induction currents well enough to get repulsed from the coil. Even cut in a washer does not help a lot. So if you are using external iron make sure it is powdered iron or ferrite, otherwise some energy will be lost significantly reducing the benefit of using external iron.
Ash Small
Fri Mar 15 2013, 03:42PM
Yandersen wrote ...

I got 105 epoxy and 209 extra slow hardener. It cost me ~$100 - bottles are so big... In 10hr mix turns from liquid into sticky gel and it takes 2 days for the mix to harden. Did not tried on coils yet.

Try heating it (putting the coils in a warm place) to cure it quicker. Around 80 degrees F should do it, read what it says in the instructions as far as temperature goes for further advice.

The beauty of this sytem is that you have plenty of time to work with it, at a cool temperature, then, when you are ready, you can increase temperature to cure it.

Maybe the 206 hardener would be better, but temperature is by far the biggest factor affecting curing times, especially with 'slow cure' hardeners.

EDIT: I looked at their website, it says 'cures in 6-8 hours @ 95F (35C)'.

"209 Extra Slow Hardenerâ„¢ is formulated for use with WEST SYSTEM Brand 105 Resin for general coating and bonding applications in extremely warm and/or humid conditions or when extended working time is desired at room temperature. Provides approximately twice the working time of 206 Slow Hardener. Forms a clear, amber-colored solid with good physical properties and moisture resistance for bonding and coating applications. Not intended for clear coating.

Pot life at 72°F (22°C): 40 to 50 minutes
Pot life at 95°F (35°C): 15 to 20 minutes
Cure to a solid state at 72°F (22°C): 20 to 24 hours
Cure to a solid state at 95°F (35°C): 6 to 8 hours
Cure to maximum strength at 72°F: 4 to 9 days
Minimum recommended temperature: 70°F (21°C)"

It says you have less than an hour pot life @72F.
Yandersen
Sat Mar 16 2013, 12:46PM
Due to the plastic insulation around the coil I can't heat it up in the oven (common practice with 5min epoxies turning them into "glass" at 60C in 3min) - only when coil is taken out of the machine, but it can be done only when epoxy is hard. The mild temperatures are somewhat hard to keep for 8hr.
Hm, what temperatures plastic can sustain without softening? Scotch tape? I can try making side rings out of the plexiglass and axial cylinder out of the plastic pen - if this will allow heating.

Update: video of coil winding process is added to the first post.
Ash Small
Sat Mar 16 2013, 04:00PM
Yandersen wrote ...

Due to the plastic insulation around the coil I can't heat it up in the oven (common practice with 5min epoxies turning them into "glass" at 60C in 3min) - only when coil is taken out of the machine, but it can be done only when epoxy is hard. The mild temperatures are somewhat hard to keep for 8hr.
Hm, what temperatures plastic can sustain without softening? Scotch tape? I can try making side rings out of the plexiglass and axial cylinder out of the plastic pen - if this will allow heating.

Update: video of coil winding process is added to the first post.

You could possibly try highly polished metal surfaces, eg electro-polished stainless steel, or aluminium. , however I'm not sure how successful this will be.

I can see that most of the plastics I can think of that epoxy doesn't stick to will soften at these temperatures, and also, that wax wouldn't be much use at these temperatures.

Does epoxy stick to the 'shiny' side of kitchen foil?

What about CD's? (I'm not sure what they're made of)
Yandersen
Sat Mar 16 2013, 09:00PM
Any smooth plastic would work. Any metal wouldn't (even if polished).

So for those who would like to try my way, I would recommend 206 hardener, not 209 I have.
Ash Small
Sun Mar 17 2013, 12:12AM
Yandersen wrote ...

Any smooth plastic would work. Any metal wouldn't (even if polished).

There are plenty of thermosetting plastics that epoxy will bond to. Metals need a rough surface to stick to epoxy, and they need to be clean. Any highly polished metal, especially if it is thin enough to be flexible, should be fairly easy to remove once it's cured. I used to own a business that specialized in producing stainless steel load bearing inserts for carbon fibre racing yachts. I'd need to etch the surface to get the epoxy to stick.

It generally helps to 'shock' it to get it off.
Yandersen
Sun Mar 17 2013, 03:26PM
Ash, arguing like that we losing the point of discussion. Did you watched my second video? I couldn't get the nut off until I scraped epoxy out of the washer's edge. Metal was polished and it was easy to scrape epoxy from it, but still it was sticky enough to give me troubles. Scotch tape doesn't bond to epoxy at all. There is a set of materials which do bond to epoxy and some are don't. Just assuming your metal is nicely polished is not enough to be sure you will be able to get the coil out.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: