Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Hacking SBM geiger tubes

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Wed Feb 06 2013, 06:43AM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi all.
I noticed that many of the cheaper tubes are of the "linear" type, using essentially a thin brass walled tube
with the gas fill or are the "mini" SBM21 type with lousy efficiency.

So has anyone else tried to modify these to detect more efficiently, etc?

Ideas so far:-
To use neodymium iron boron (NIB) magnet pairs swiped from dead PS3 optics around the edge of the tube to generate a field gradient and increase the detection threshold.
To use an HV device to "blow out" the centre of the filament then remove the unused end cap and make a 2x tube for direction sensing.
Modify the sense circuit to detect sub threshold events and mount a linear CCD behind the tube so that coincidence detecting can be done.
Use a paraffin/boron doped wax block to make a neutron counter for the fusor folks.
Use rolled indium foil and some sort of biasing circuit to make a neutron activation counter.
Charge up the tube until the count rate skyrockets then back it down until a given CPS is reached.
Insulate the tube with antistatic foam to make it "coil proof" smile
Bluray based laser pre-ionisation on end window type tubes?!?!
Add a charged plate inline to accelerate alpha particles onto one of two tubes for direction sensing...
"Pre-nuke" the tube with an RF heater to increase internal pressure if they are messed up..
Build a "Life Signs detector" using the characteristic gammas from decaying K-40

Feel free to add to this.
-A

Proud Mary
Wed Feb 06 2013, 05:56PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Have you still got those blue Rumanian glass GM tubes I gave you a few years ago, André? Despite their poor terminations, clunky UX4 base, 900 V anode supply and general fragility, they are far more sensitive than the metal wall SBM-21.

GM tubes are used in fewer and fewer new designs, and while there will probably always be a niche for them, it would be much easier for someone starting afresh to experiment with PIN photodiodes, or RADFETs, which is where the action is today.
Conundrum
Wed Feb 06 2013, 06:43PM
Not sure, can you send me a picture please?
I don't recall anything like that, top hats maybe.

-A
Proud Mary
Wed Feb 06 2013, 09:48PM

60b

This Romanian GM tube is often described as the worst GM tube of the whole Cold War, and seems to have been made in a great hurry. The top caps fall off all on their own, and the bakelite base adhesive, long gone hard, cracks, so the base rotates around the glass, snapping off the very brittle wires where they enter the glass.

Nonetheless, they work very well indeed. The glass is as thin as can be, and the tube will fire erratically on UV photons if the metallic blue paint is removed.

I was wrong when I said above that the working voltage is 900V. This particular example was manufactured in October 1960, and has Vthresh 980V, centre plateau 1060V, and Vmax 1140.

I had a few dozen of them at one time, and gave half of them away. I thought I'd sent you a few of them, perhaps three or four years ago, but I may be mistaken.

I have a box of miniature steel GM tubes with miniature HV supplies (3V:450V) and will send you a couple if you'd like to experiment with them. The PSUs will fail at once if you try to get more than a few μA out of them! smile
Conundrum
Sun Feb 10 2013, 08:52AM
Sure PM, thanks!
I have a few goodies here if you'd like to trade, including a Gen 0 night vision tube and (if its intact) a flat Sony CRT that "bounced" from the invalid address.
Proud Mary
Sun Feb 10 2013, 05:17PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Sure PM, thanks!
I have a few goodies here if you'd like to trade, including a Gen 0 night vision tube and (if its intact) a flat Sony CRT that "bounced" from the invalid address.

I was mistaken when I said the PSUs were 3V to 450V - they are actually 9V in ~500V out, and I was thinking of something else. Do you still want them?

The GM tubes are the relatively insensitive Phillips ZP1313 compensated personal dosimeter types. (A tin filter is incorporated into the design to compensate for the very non linear energy response of GM tubes below 150 keV.)

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

Gas filling Ne +Halogen
Cathode material 446 Stainless Steel
Maximum length (inch/mm) 1.26/32.1
Effective length (inch/mm) 0.63/15.9
Maximum diameter (inch/mm) 0.38/9.7
Effective diameter (inch/mm) 0.19/4.83
Connector Pin
Operating temperature range °C -40 to +75

ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Recommended anode resistor (meg ohm) 3.3
Maximum starting voltage (volts) 380
Recommended operating voltage (volts) 500
Operating voltage range (volts) 450 - 650
Maximum plateau slope (%/100 volts) 15
Minimum dead time (micro sec) 15
Gamma sensitivity Co60 (cps/mr/hr) 1.5
Tube capacitance (pf) 3
Weight (grams)
Maximum background shielded 50mm Pb + 3mm Al (cpm) 2
Minimum anode resistor (meg ohm) 2.2

FILTER SPECIFICATIONS
Material Sn
Thickness (inch/mm) 0.08/2.0

WALL SPECIFICATIONS
Areal density (mg/cm²) 100
Thickness (inch/mm) 0.005/0.13

And no, I don't want anything in trade for them. I have more parts and bits and pieces than could ever be used in a single lifetime! Put a couple of quid in an RSPCA box next time you see one.
Conundrum
Tue Feb 12 2013, 08:24AM
Cool, will do. Its a shame that my goodie box to Ash went missing, as this had a few useful Tektronix parts in it.

We should start a few more "roving junk boxes" but this time require exchange of postcards or something to verify that the address actually exists smile

I have the same problem here, still can't figure out a use for a gen 0 Nv tube as the picture is too dim for anything but a night scope and my original plan of using it as a "poor man's CRT" flopped due to the -13.5KV messing up the LCD panel.

Also Link2

-A
Proud Mary
Wed Feb 13 2013, 03:35PM
I've found a small jiffy bag to put the two ZP1313 GM tubes and HV PSU modules in, and will see if I can find time to post them tomorrow, or Friday. I'll throw in some suitable anode resistors for them if I can find them. 3.3 MΩ is the recommended value for ZP1313, so we could do three 10 MΩ in parallel if I can't find any single resistors at or near the specified value.

I've tested the ZP1313s, and they both motor along nicely at 500V, logging about 9 cpm for background gammas.
Conundrum
Thu Feb 28 2013, 11:07PM
I got the Tek box back.
Also just received five IN-9 Russian bargraph tubes, tested one and they seem to work fine.
The are essentially a current indicator, firing at about 170V and the length of the bar reaches full scale at 9mA.
Any use?
-A
Ash Small
Fri Mar 01 2013, 12:15AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Its a shame that my goodie box to Ash went missing, as this had a few useful Tektronix parts in it.

Conundrum wrote ...

I got the Tek box back.

I'm glad you've got this box back now, but we hadn't even finalised what was going in it, let alone price, before you posted it without checking I was still at my old address.

I felt I should comment as my name had been mentioned.

BTW, have you worked out a price for 'that other box of goodies' yet? smile

EDIT: Include me if you do start a junkbox. I've plenty to put in. You have my new address.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: