All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

MIDI Interrupter Software

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
koolksmart
Fri Jan 11 2013, 03:14AM Print
koolksmart Registered Member #5300 Joined: Thu Jun 14 2012, 12:00AM
Hi all!

So I just built the EVR Flexibrute Polyphonic MIDI interrupter (Link2, but I'm having trouble getting the thing to run off of my computer. I was wondering if anyone had some advice for a good method (and reliable MIDI software) to use in order to get this thing up and running.
Before I hook it up to one of my coils, I've soldered an 8-ohm speaker to the RCA output of the board so that I can test it.

Thanks in advance!
Dr. ISOTOP
Fri Jan 11 2013, 04:27AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
I use MIDIEditor for file playback and V.M.K. for testing with single notes.
Physics Junkie
Fri Jan 11 2013, 04:57AM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
Hi koolksmart. I have the same MIDI interrupter. I use Anvil Studio as the playback software. Its free and very easy to use if your new to MIDI stuff. I download MIDI files and use this to playback the files, it can also be used to hook up to a keyboard, guitar, synthesizer, etc... And I use the M-Audio MIDI sport UNO USB device to interface between my laptop and the flexibrute midi board. The USB device is $40 US brand new, probably the most inexpensive and best route to playback files from your PC or laptop and/or interface an instrument.

By the way, did you properly set up your pulse width limits by following the PDF guide from the website? You MUST DO THIS if you have not. Some notes that are not suposed to be played can end up being played if you do not have it properly calibrated, which can result in bad things. Also, since you specifically asked for a "reliable MIDI software", be weary that many of the freeware's out there are not going to be perfect, including Anvil Studio. It can crash from time to time. And when you hit the pause/stop function, it doesnt always wait till the present note stops playing to stop the MIDI, which can result in that note being permanently played (this can be bad) and the only way to stop it is to unplug the power from the interrupter. You may or may not experience this in the freewares, but that is what I experienced at first. Personally, It just takes some getting used to smile I still use anvil studio despite the problems I've had with it.
Dr. ISOTOP
Fri Jan 11 2013, 06:27AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
I use this to interface between computer and modulator. They're kind of sketchy on the software end (among other things, no love from FLStudio) but they're dirt cheap and work.
koolksmart
Fri Jan 11 2013, 06:56AM
Thanks for all the quick help, guys!

I've got a USB-MIDI cable that I know works (I've used it with keyboards before), but I can't get my computer to detect the device. I'm running Windows 7. Is there a driver I need to download?
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jan 11 2013, 02:35PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Koolksmart,

I sent you email last nite with some ideas. I'm not too familiar with the inexpensive USB-MIDI adapters available - I usually interface directly with a MIDI device such as a keyboard. But it sounds like your computer is just not recognizing the USB-MIDI adapter. The drivers for these should already be part of windows 7.

If you can access control panel and System Components you can see if you see the device in there and it will have an exclamation point next to it if the driver is not working. From there, you might be able to trouble shoot it.
koolksmart
Fri Jan 11 2013, 03:52PM
EVR,

Once again, thanks for sticking with me through all these e-mails.

I'm using a MIDI cable almost identical to the one Dr. ISOTOP linked to, but it's definitely a driver issue at this point. In my device manager, it shows an "Unidentified Device". I'm just not sure where to go from here since I couldn't even get the MIDI cable to work with a MIDI out keyboard (though I've only tried one keyboard...). I'll be trying others tonight.
Any ideas where I might be able to find the driver?
Physics Junkie
Fri Jan 11 2013, 06:29PM
Physics Junkie Registered Member #7267 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2012, 12:16AM
I had the same problem when I first bought my USB device. It came with an installation disk that didnt work, the installation always failed. All i did was went to the manufacturer's website and downloaded the most recent driver and it worked. So if you know the maker of your device, I would just try searching for the latest driver. To get your computer to recognize the device, I'm pretty sure you have to do that within the software itself. For example, with anvil studio there is a "MIDI devices/synthesizers" menu and you just go there and select your device.
nixie
Fri Jan 11 2013, 07:29PM
nixie Registered Member #3908 Joined: Tue May 24 2011, 09:40PM
Somewhat related to this thread; beware of those cheap USB>MIDI dongles.

I'd been having recurring hanging note, lockups, and lost note issues with the $5 ebay specials. Your mileage may vary.
It turns out there are many documented problems with them. Here's a thread about them on a MIDI device forum I frequent.

I eventually purchased an Alesis MIDI dongle based on advice from other experienced MIDI talent.

I've not had any of the above issues when using this device. I'm a believer now.
The material I play through it is fairly complex, and works flawlessly in driving two big DRSSTC's with Eric Goodchild's DR MIDI controller.
Here's one example video: Waltz in Black (The stranglers)

With regard to the various MIDI apps out there; freeware is totally great as long as you're not too serious about it.
Each app has a learning curve, and typically a load of bugs/issues along with it. Keep that in mind when you decide.

Regards, Jeff
koolksmart
Sat Jan 12 2013, 06:33AM
Thanks for all the help! I got the computer to recognize the board, but I still can't output to it. I've managed to get a MIDI keyboard working with it, but when I hook it up to the coil: Nothing.
The guide doesn't mention anything about the PW limit, which I wonder might be the issue.
Any ideas? It's the last thing holding me back -.-
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: