Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

z pinch

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Andy
Thu Dec 13 2012, 03:15AM Print
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
I'm trying to create a magnetic pinch, below is some off the experiments I've done.

The coil is 40+30, with both south poles facing each other, the camera has a burning effect moving the spark outside the pipe.

This was with a 0.047uF cap measured from a multimeter at 20kv

1355777604 4266 FT1630 2

1355777604 4266 FT1630 3

09h06m23s242

Try a test with two mag same poles facing each other. It hasn't done what the top did, i'm guessing its the heat and amps that expands the air that force the plasma to follow the magnetic field.
This was with a 76pF cap measured from a multimeter at 20-40kv

1355885264 4266 FT1630 10

This was with 0.006uF cap at 20kv,Will try the same setup but with 60-80kv when the parts arrive
The positive is connected to the larger diameter coil

1355966916 4266 FT1630 Up

The ground is connected to the larger diameter coil

1355966916 4266 FT1630 Down

Andy
Fri Dec 14 2012, 01:37AM
Theory post

Electrical conductive of a arc discharge, voltage drop across a arc, V = (I/A)(AR/d)(d)
Current in the arc as j =o*E ,o =E/j
o = 3×10−15
E = 20kv
j = 0.00000000006amps

Force on a charged particle, Fe = e*E+j*B
e = 1.60E-019
E = 20kv
j = 0.00000000006amps
B = 0.68Telsa
Fe = 0.0000000000408joules(2.5465e+8ev)
KE = 2.5465e+8

1355989827 4266 FT1630 Fuserpinch

Link2

Andy
Fri Dec 14 2012, 04:14AM
blank
Ash Small
Fri Dec 14 2012, 09:13AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Any chance of some bigger pictures of that twisting arc, Andy?

(BTW, you ought to be updating the first post with progress as you go. It's fine using subsequent posts as you go, but progress should be posted in the first post using the edit function, so that people don't have to scroll through a long thread that could be pages and pages in order to see how the project is developing)
Andy
Thu Dec 20 2012, 07:20AM
What pump could you use to make a vacuum?
Ash Small
Thu Dec 20 2012, 08:51AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Andy wrote ...

What pump could you use to make a vacuum?

This depends on how hard a vacuum you require, but generally you'll need two pumps, a 'roughing' or 'backing' pump, eg a ratary vane pump, and a 'high vacuum' pump, either a diffusion pump or turbo-molucular pump. (for very high vacuums you'll also need an 'ion pump', or similar.

Turbo-molecular pumps are expensive (although there are occasional bargains on Ebay), fragile, and require expensive controllers (there are a few guides on the 'net for building your own).

I'd recommend a cheap diffusion pump from Ebay, and a rotary vane backing pump (diffusion and turbo pumps won't work at atmospheric pressure, they only work at pressures in the 'molecular flow' regime, so you need the backing pump tp 'start things off, and to 'back' the diff/turbo pump.

If you are in the US you probably want to be looking out for a Welch rotary vane pump, probably belt driven, if in UK, an Edwards unit.

Similarly, Veeco diff pumps seem easier to obtain in the US, and Edwards ones in the UK.

A two inch diff pump will be plenty large enough, smaller will probably do, but they are less common. Larger ones require more 'expensive' oil, and consume more power.

You'll also need vacuum guages, plumbing, etc. (and some form of 'chamber').
Daedronus
Thu Dec 20 2012, 09:35AM
Daedronus Registered Member #2329 Joined: Tue Sept 01 2009, 08:25AM
Mechanical pumps are good down to micron (10^-3 torr) pressures (assuming they are in good condition with clean oil).

If you plan to use a diffusion/turbo pump the mechanical pump just needs to be large so it evacuates fast, it doesn't matter if it will only get to 100 microns.

Diffusion pumps need foreline pressure below 500 microns, more or less, it depends on the oil.

For a diffusion pump you also need a foreline trap (it can be just some copper sponge, anything that is vacuum compatible and is optically opaque) or the mechanical pump oil will eventually contaminate the oil in the diffusion pump.

From my experience I will tell you not to cheap out when it comes to vacuum seals, only use metal, or viton seals.
Andy
Thu Dec 20 2012, 06:08PM
Would this be a good pump Link2, The turbo pumps are out of the price range. Is there any glue that could handle vacuum joining two perplex plastic together, would plain steel be alright for the chamber.
Daedronus
Thu Dec 20 2012, 09:58PM
Daedronus Registered Member #2329 Joined: Tue Sept 01 2009, 08:25AM
A dry pump will not reach too much or a vacuum.

They can be used with a tubomolecular pump to get a 100% clean vacuum, since there is no oil. Oil in mechanical or diffusion pumps can reach in small amounts intro the chamber.
This can be stopped to large degree using optically opaque baffles.

But keep in mind that diffusion pumps are fine even for things like electron microscopes.

You would want a 100% oil free system if you make microprocessors or something, not common things.

What is your pressure target? that's the key question.
I know the thread is about a plasma Z pinch, but I have no clue in what kind of vacuum you want to use it.
Andy
Thu Dec 20 2012, 10:39PM
I'm not sure the temperature of the arc, 2 psi should be alright i think. If I can get it down near there it will be cheaper to build a large cap than go lower in pressure.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: