Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

V3 Coil Carbine

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
ben5017
Fri Nov 30 2012, 03:25AM Print
ben5017 Registered Member #3315 Joined: Thu Oct 14 2010, 04:23PM
After my proof of concept S.C.A.R. 1000 project, I have been lurking around the forum and have slowly been making progress on the upgraded model. I decided to lay out an experimental benchtop version to finetune the design before I complete the V3CC portable version.

Project Goals of X3CC:
-To create an easily modified experimental testing rig as a stepping stone for the final version (V3CC)
-Learn to optomize a multi-stage coil gun.

Future design Vision of V3CC:
-A 6s Lipo powered, 4+1 stage, select fire, drum fed, portable coilgun

Project Goals of VC33:
-Rate of Fire: 150 rpm
-Velocity: 50 m/s
-Efficency: 8-10%

The pictures attached show my progress to date, as well as a picture of the completed S.C.A.R 1000.

Progress:
-Injector is completed and operational.
-Optical Sensor is Completed and operational.
-Stage 1 Completed

1354245147 3315 FT0 Overall Horizontal

1354245147 3315 FT0 Overall Vertical

1354245147 3315 FT0 Diode

1354245147 3315 FT0 Igbt

1354245147 3315 FT0 Power Bar

1354245147 3315 FT0 Injector Bolt

1354245147 3315 FT0 Shells

PSCG
Fri Nov 30 2012, 03:41PM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Good to see you with a new built! Are you using the design that Saz43 follows with his own multistage coilgun?
ben5017
Fri Nov 30 2012, 03:56PM
PSCG:
Saz has deffinatly given me some motivation to keep making progress, and my design is somewhat similar. However there are some major diffrences.

1. It will be ran off of 6s instead of 12s
2. It will have a cap bank to increase the discharge rate as opposed to running it just off of the lipo. Hopefully it will give it some more punch.
3. It uses an "injector" to smack the projectile out of the magazine, as opposed to having the 1st stage pull the projectile out of the clip
4. It will be a 4+1 coilgun (4 stages + Injector) as opposed to 8 smaller stages
PSCG
Sat Dec 01 2012, 09:10AM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Very interesting changes. I'd like to see how the "battery - capacitor bank" combination will work.
Yandersen
Mon Dec 03 2012, 08:15AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Ben, you asked me to enlight my design of recuperational gauss technology, but your current battery-driven design is completely incompatible with it. See, the keypoint of mine is using non-polar caps as power source for the coils. If you are going to start from scratch, let me know. By now, my 6-stage gun shows average efficiency 20.6% (recuperation is taken into account) by accelerating 6.57gramm projectile of 9.4mm caliber to the speed 54m/s while initial energy stored in 3 caps is just 55J. If such perspective will initiate you to try my technology, I'll tell in details how you can build one.
ben5017
Mon Dec 03 2012, 06:26PM
Yandersen,

To clarify, I am still at the beginning stages of this build, and moreover its entire purpose is as a research and testing platform for later builds. I most definatly want to experiment with your design, with modifications of course (neither of us would get much out of simply duplicating your work).

To your point. I kind of figured that it would not be compatible with a battery driven gun. However I am still interested in seeing if it can be used to capture the leftover energy in my coil and the dissipate it elsewhere after the coil shuts off. I realize that this would not allow me to reuse the captured energy in additional stages, but i am thinking it would still be more effective way to minimize suck back, compared to an anti-parallel diode, and still have the rapid rate of fire I am looking for.

Thoughts?
Yandersen
Mon Dec 03 2012, 06:44PM
Easy. Just put a couple of high power zener diodes in series with dempher diode. When coil disconnected from the power source, the speed of energy dissipation will be proportional to the voltage spike over the coil. Choose the highest possible voltage your commutation elements can handle.
To determine the voltage spike' magnitude check the peak current in a coil. Multiply this value by coil resistance, add 1V for dempher diode and around 1.5 values of zener diode voltage rating. Make sure zener can handle the spike current for a time it will run (this characteristics are rarely shown in the datasheet, howhether). I think, couple of 5W zener in parallel will handle the spike. To be sure, put 5 or so of them in parallel and check the voltage over them during the spike. If it is just 1-2 Volts over their rating, you don't need that much - remove some and check again. Zener diode, when burned with moderate overwhelming, become a shunt resistor with few ohms of resistance, so don't be worry much about the rest of the circuit.
ben5017
Mon Dec 03 2012, 07:31PM
Is this setup worth pursuing since it wont be able to use the captured energy, and therefore could not give me the same magnitude of efficiency gains you achieved? It should still give me a good boost in velocity due to almost eliminating suck back true? Can you give me a reasonable guess of % increase in velocity I can expect?

What if I were to charge nonpolar caps directly off of the lipos and use it to fire the coils?, could it then recoup and use the energy if I gave the batteries some sort of protection so they couldn’t see the reverse voltage, kind of like a hybrid between a cap bank and direct lipo driven coils gun
Yandersen
Mon Dec 03 2012, 07:57PM
Well, eliminating suckback may give you up to 10-20% of efficiency in total, while recuperation will not increase bullet's energy but doubles efficiency by reusing energy leftovers. If you would wire your coils in a proper shape (length is equal to the inner diameter, 3x outer diameter to inner), use the shortest possible projectile and add external iron (at least washers at the ends of a coils), then you can be totally sure about those numbers. But by now, just put zeners in series with your dempher diode and see the difference.
ben5017
Mon Dec 03 2012, 08:12PM
what do you think about my proposed "hybrid" setup
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: