All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Do not underestimate the power of the brick. V2

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Kizmo
Sun Sept 23 2012, 08:07PM Print
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Just little bit something i wanted to share with you guys.

Inspired to by this thread: Link2

My victim was Semikron SKM150GB128D which i got from German ebay for 20 euros.

Datasheet: Link2

I wanted to see what kind of power levels and general abuse brick like that take. So far it has been very interesting.

Coil spec:

160x500mm secondary, about 1550 turns
100x490mm topload
flat pancake style primary, k=0.16
667nF tank capacitor
370VDC bus, 5600µF bus capacitance
Single phase 32amp feed

Secondary unloaded resonant frequency was measured to be 115kHz, primary was tuned to around 104kHz.

First test setup looked like this. Later i added some more capacitors in series and made nice sealed metal box for driver. (Whole thing was put together from scrap parts in two days, it sort of shows in some places cheesey )

1348429593 599 FT0 Done

First test at my student apartment, seriously limited by 10A breaker, room and noise.

2nd test later at other place where noise, room or power are not problems..

As video title said, i didnt have Over Current Detection in use. I did scope primary current and during air streamers it was around 1.5kApk and during heavy ground arcing it went way past 2kA. Coil seems to be making scariest sparks at around 300-400bps and 100-120µs on time.

Once i chose primary components i knew this thing would need serious amounts of primary current for impressive spark output. Low impedance primary (Zprim 2.22ohm), half bridge and relatively low input voltage made sure i was not wrong. (its hard to get any sparks out of that thing with less than 500Amps in primary!)

Coil ran just fine at 3-4kVA input power from wall for quite some time. Then primary cable that was leaning against bus capacitor mounting strap induction heated that steel strap to a point where cable insulation failed and it shorted primary lead to house ground. And it of course blew rectifier bridge and fuses from electrical panel.

Seems that everything else survived. Maybe next weekend we will see series-parallel bus capacitors for 3 phase power (565Vbus?) Maybe OCD will be added too..

Killa-X
Sun Sept 23 2012, 08:22PM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
Nice job man, No need to build a fancy coil to get a fun toy :)

Hope to see more limit pushing! Maybe until utter destruction? How much will it take, hehe :D
dex
Mon Sept 24 2012, 09:07AM
dex Registered Member #2566 Joined: Wed Dec 23 2009, 05:52PM
Kizmo wrote ...

I did scope primary current and during air streamers it was around 1.5kApk and during heavy ground arcing it went way past 2kA. Coil seems to be making scariest sparks at around 300-400bps and 100-120µs on time.
Does this mean that "heavy ground arcing" occurs before on time is over?
Steve Conner
Mon Sept 24 2012, 09:21AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
It certainly can depending on your coil setup. Classical Tesla coil theory assumes that the energy transfers quickly into the secondary, and the streamers and sparks appear after the energy transfer is complete, but the DRSSTC doesn't work like that. The streamers are being "fed" with energy from the DC bus by the inverter while they grow, and maybe develop into a ground arc. If the ground arc gets too heavy, the inverter may shut off (Steve Ward style) or go into a pulse skipping mode to limit current (my style) or ignore it and carry on (Kizmo's :) )

In fact I would argue that good performing classical coils didn't work like the classical theory either. Once you have a decent amount of bang energy, it's not possible to transfer it "quickly" without causing racing sparks.

Good luck Kizmo on your quest to burn up every part except the IGBT. tongue
Kizmo
Mon Sept 24 2012, 10:16AM
Actually this style of driving is called Dalus mode (at least in chatroom..). Dalus has 20kVA low impedance liquid cooled dual h-bridge drsstc (can be found from projects board, search for drsstc named as "resonant rise").

I just find it cool how long on times and high peak currents produce fat and "hairy" ground strike sparks..
dex
Mon Sept 24 2012, 10:34AM
dex Registered Member #2566 Joined: Wed Dec 23 2009, 05:52PM
Thx for the info.
Intra
Mon Sept 24 2012, 05:44PM
Intra Registered Member #2694 Joined: Mon Feb 22 2010, 11:52PM
post please model number of this brown round caps for mmc?
Kizmo
Mon Sept 24 2012, 07:32PM
Caps im using are 4µF 600VAC/1000VDC/1600Vpeak GTO snubber capacitors. 6 in series for 667nF. Rated RMS current is 70A and god knows how high the pulse rating is. I dont remember model number. I have to say they are awesome caps. I pushed that coil to a point where primary cable coatings softened and caps were stone cold :)
Intra
Tue Sept 25 2012, 04:52PM
Intra Registered Member #2694 Joined: Mon Feb 22 2010, 11:52PM
Please. Could you cast a look on this caps or you very far from it? I'm really very important to know model number, because I'm looking for High RMS Caps for my Guitar Interrupter.
Kizmo
Wed Sept 26 2012, 03:14PM
Intra wrote ...

Please. Could you cast a look on this caps or you very far from it? I'm really very important to know model number, because I'm looking for High RMS Caps for my Guitar Interrupter.
PM sent
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: