All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Laser Scanner

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Tesladownunder
Sat Aug 12 2006, 04:07PM Print
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Sort of in the same line as laser galvanometers, this is a unit I got off eBay and uses a crystal controlled motor driving a hexagonal mirror. I made it up into a neat unit with a 5mW green laser. The laser needed 3 V and I made a LM317 regulator to run at 3V for it.
I took the initial shots then found the laser and regulator were overheating so I added a fan. I then blew the electronics of the mirror drive with an accidental reverse polarity.
So now the tidy unit has a fan and a belt drive motor hanging off it - but it works.

More pics after a reply. Some interesting effects with this.

Peter
1155398871 10 FT0 Laserscannerelectronic

1155398871 10 FT0 Laserscannerfan
Bjørn
Sat Aug 12 2006, 05:23PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
You could try to make a scanning dot camera like some of the first TV cameras. You could get pretty good resolution, infinite depth of field and a very slow framerate. It would only work in the dark, but could be quite interesting.

You could record the reflected brightness as a sound and get someone else to make the software that turns it into a picture if find that kind of thing boring.
Tesladownunder
Sat Aug 12 2006, 05:34PM
I mainly built it to use at a demo I am giving next week. I will run it at knee level. TV will have to wait.

Here is a hand picture. It is not a double exposure. Note how the hand is "not there" and you can see the carpet through it.

Peter

1155404094 10 FT14479 Laserscannerhand1
Carbon_Rod
Sat Aug 12 2006, 08:40PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
What you may want to try is grabbing a new mirror and optics. That aluminium mirror comes from old laser printers (not LED based, under 600dpi, and usually located above the toner cartridge). Local repair shops would likely have junked modules with only fried laser diodes. Or buy an old printer for $20.

Some old in-counter laser checkout stands (I think 1980’s) had a 10” spinning partitioned holographic disc. If you can find one – they can make all kinds of interesting scanning assemblies.

Cheers,
Madgyver
Sat Aug 12 2006, 09:33PM
Madgyver Registered Member #177 Joined: Wed Feb 15 2006, 02:16PM
As i Understand you, you were projecting an image of your Hand on the Carpet right?

How do you put in the "Data" of that image and how do you make the Y-Axis translation? With a galvo?

Pics please =D

EDIT:
Ah damn. I just read "not double exposed" and understood "not long time exposed".
Sorry for my lame-assness. I am a bit tired from learning for Pre-Diploma exams.
Electroholic
Sat Aug 12 2006, 10:06PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Interesting, is it like a POV effect or something?
Sat Aug 12 2006, 10:06PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
TDO just put his hand in front of the scanning beam with a mildly long exposure(me guesses about 1s) and moved it through the beam. Each pass scanned in a slightly diferent spot giving the neat looking 3d floating hand. You can see though it because his hand was not in front of the camera the whole time, so some light from the carpet got to the camera.

Very neat!

Now that you have a laser canner you need to take it out ay night sometime and let out some smoke... It is realy cool with just hand scanning the beam at a few hz, I wonder what it is like with a barcode scanner...
Steve Conner
Sat Aug 12 2006, 10:34PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I'm puzzled how you managed to take that picture TDU. The hand is pin-sharp, so it can't have moved relative to the camera. And I can see the camera didn't move relative to the carpet either. Also, I know those scanners only make a line, not a 2-D raster like in your picture. Did you open the camera shutter, then put your hand in front of the lens and move the scanning unit to swipe the beam over it?

I'd love to see you make a flying spot camera a la John Logie Baird.
Tesladownunder
Sun Aug 13 2006, 12:52AM
... wrote ...

TDO just put his hand in front of the scanning beam with a mildly long exposure(me guesses about 1s) and moved it through the beam. Each pass scanned in a slightly diferent spot giving the neat looking 3d floating hand. You can see though it because his hand was not in front of the camera the whole time, so some light from the carpet got to the camera.
Now that you have a laser canner you need to take it out ay night sometime and let out some smoke... It is realy cool with just hand scanning the beam at a few hz, I wonder what it is like with a barcode scanner...
Exactly right and the exposure was 1 second. If you move your hand up towards the camera then it will be scanned. Once it is out of scan range, remove it so the camera continues to expose on the carpet. You will have minimum distortion if the hand moves towards the camera.

I have 2 laser printers to scrap when I get the time. I also just picked up 2 argon lasers (free) used in big image scanners. Lots of optics and power stuff. The lasers work but power is down from 40mW to 8 and 20mW respectively.

I did some smoke pics. While they were good to look at, the pics weren't that good, then my smoke generator died, so another day.

Here is a couple more shots. I have some really cool room shots next. My wife said "WOW!" when she saw them so obviously appealed to her redecorating nature.

Peter

1155430357 10 FT14479 Laserscannerhandstill1

1155430357 10 FT14479 Laserscannerhand2

1155430357 10 FT14479 Laserscannerhand3
Tesladownunder
Wed Aug 16 2006, 12:32AM
Well, 48h and new information...
Here are the room scans, made by sweeping the room in both direction.

Peter
1155688328 10 FT14479 Laserscannerroomgrid

1155688328 10 FT14479 Laserscannerroomrhomboidgrid
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: