All today's birthdays', congrats!
David.Lightman (54)
jonny5 (40)

Next birthdays
04/18 David.Lightman (54)
04/18 jonny5 (40)
04/19 Nicko (56)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Correctely ground a TC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Unleashed
Thu Jul 12 2012, 04:06PM Print
Unleashed Registered Member #5171 Joined: Tue Jun 05 2012, 11:32AM
Hello everyone.
Sorry if i'm opening so many threads so far, but since it's my first TC, i really need to know lot of things, so please be patient :)
My question today is
How to correctely ground my tc?
I mean, my home power plant, has no ground, so i can't do it by just setting it on the middle pin of the socket.

What i wanted to do, is grounding it by planting a steel bar( like one of those Link2 ) in the ground, and maybe give it some salt water.
But someone told me that at high frequencies some material becomes bad conductors.

So, how should i ground my TC?
Thanks.
Tetris
Thu Jul 12 2012, 05:22PM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
I use a copper pipe, about 5 feet in length, 4 feet I was able to bury into the ground. If it hasn't rained in a while (saying you live in Italy, in a Mediterranean climate, drought should hardly be a problem), say, a week or so, then I suggest watering it with a simple garden hose. :D hope that helps.
Patrick
Thu Jul 12 2012, 06:48PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
At high frequency the cross section of the conductor starts to effectively shrink, due to skin effect. And the conductor acts as if it were a hollow pipe at HF, (even if its a solid rod). But i think for TC use as highvoltagechick said, use a copper water pipe, it seems to work for many people just fine.
Unleashed
Thu Jul 12 2012, 07:46PM
Unleashed Registered Member #5171 Joined: Tue Jun 05 2012, 11:32AM
I have bought a 1.5meters grounding rod.
But.. it'll be hard to plant it in the ground :P It's like 40°C and doesn't rain since a month or so...
Patrick
Thu Jul 12 2012, 08:02PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
start pounding.... some electricians use a tiny jack hammer-like device thats meant to drive the longer rods in.
Dr. Slack
Fri Jul 13 2012, 07:13AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Sigh, I see so much BS talked about coil grounding.

Why do you want to ground your coil? Electrical safety, like able to blow supply fuses in the event of short circuit, or RF performance?

If you want RF performance, which includes reducing emissions to to other parts of the house, then you need something approximating to an RF ground plane *immediately below the coil*, connected to the bottom of the secondary. An RF ground plane could be a large sheet of solid metal, or large sheet of chicken wire, or several straight wires fanning out in a radial fashion from the middle. If you are running it in a field, put a wire down from the bottom of the secondary to a teaspoon or tent-peg stuck in the ground. The currents are so low, the impedance so high, that that is enough.

If you want safety, then additionally you connect the earthy bits in your primary circuit back to mains ground. If mains ground is not available, then you pound a 6ft pole into wet ground, and/or put croc-clips to all the metal pipes that you have buried in the ground. The currents required are so high, the impedance so low, that you need all the help you can get.

Neither grounding system depends on the other. Neither grounding system will do the job of the other.
brandon3055
Fri Jul 13 2012, 08:16AM
brandon3055 Registered Member #4548 Joined: Mon Apr 23 2012, 03:52AM
For my.latest tc build I use manes ground for safety and for the rf ground I just have a wire from my secondary to my shed and it seems to work ok what is you opinion on this method
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Jul 13 2012, 09:57AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I have ran coils with sparks up to 60cm (24") grounded to mains ground. Put some caps a few tens of nF from live and neutral to Earth.
Sigurthr
Fri Jul 13 2012, 11:38AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Sigh, I see so much BS talked about coil grounding.

Why do you want to ground your coil? Electrical safety, like able to blow supply fuses in the event of short circuit, or RF performance?

If you want RF performance, which includes reducing emissions to to other parts of the house, then you need something approximating to an RF ground plane *immediately below the coil*, connected to the bottom of the secondary.

Being a Ham I fully agree and understand the importance of a proper ground plane grounding system when dealing with most RF sources, but I have a practical question for you: How do you stop the ground plane from sapping energy out of the system due to induced eddy currents from the Primary's magnetic field? I tried a similar setup using a large sheet of steel under the coil and got zero output from the secondary and the ground plane got VERY hot very fast. I tried increasing the vertical distance between the tesla resonator and the ground plane but could not achieve a set up where the ground plane was not badly drawing energy from the coil, even if heating was reduced below perceivable levels.

From my experience a ground plane is good in theory for a TC but bad in practice.
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Jul 13 2012, 12:11PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I think the frequencies of normal TCs are so low (few hundred kHz), that a ground plane is not necessary.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: