Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Question about MOT output voltage

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
PhilGood
Thu Jun 21 2012, 06:11AM Print
PhilGood Registered Member #3806 Joined: Sat Apr 02 2011, 09:20PM
I was looking at microwave oven capacitors on Ebay, and I noticed they are all rated 2100V
(very rarely above, I found a few 2400V)

My MOT output voltage is 2480V

Motsma10

Now I have two questions :

- Is this MOT voltage above the "average" ?

- Can I use 2100V caps to smooth full wave rectified output of my MOT ? are they strong enough to withstand the overvoltage ?

Thanks all for your help :)
Harry
Thu Jun 21 2012, 09:36AM
Harry Registered Member #4081 Joined: Wed Aug 31 2011, 06:40PM
1. Yes.
2. Also yes, I think Steve Ward did some destructive testing and found that they broke at around 10KVDC, the peak of 2.5kVAC is around 3.5KVDC so you should be fine.
Also how old is that transformer? It may have something to do with the voltage
PhilGood
Thu Jun 21 2012, 01:36PM
Thanks Harry for your answer :)
And good to know I can use 2100V capacitors !

I don't know exactly how old is this MOT, I bought it new here: Link2 Either it's an old model, or maybe it is for a big oven with power above average.
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Jun 21 2012, 04:07PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I have a 2300VA rated MOT and on the sticker it says 2300V. So yours is certainly above average. The most I have seen with "normal" MOTs is 2300V.
Tetris
Thu Jun 21 2012, 04:34PM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
The microwave I ripped open had a stamp of '02, but it was a solid state mot. I don't think the age of it matters much really, unless you ripped open a 20 year old microwave. Then again, I only have ripped open one microwave, so I can't be sure. One thing is for sure: I want to see you post threads of you arcing that MOT!
Harry
Thu Jun 21 2012, 05:53PM
Harry Registered Member #4081 Joined: Wed Aug 31 2011, 06:40PM
Just be careful with arcing it without a ballast because it may trip your breaker/blow a fuse and it WILL overheat very quickly (I had one that I arced for less than a minute and it burst into flames).
What many people do is ballast it; this is to put a load in series with it. Good ballasts are heaters or another MOT with the secondary shorted.
Though I'm guessing you're not going to arc it if you're rectifying and smoothing it :)
Also many people are just giving away microwaves, I'm not sure if you have Freecycle/Gumtree in France though.
PhilGood
Fri Jun 22 2012, 06:46AM
Thanks guys for all your advices :)

HighVoltageChick wrote ...

One thing is for sure: I want to see you post threads of you arcing that MOT!
I'd like but ...

Harry wrote ...

Though I'm guessing you're not going to arc it if you're rectifying and smoothing it :)
...Indeed. And this is atm the only MOT I have, seems to be a good one and its in new condition, so I don't wanna take a risk to damage it for now.

I actually use it in this coil Link2

I'm gonna build another coil with it soon. It should output better arcs than straight MOT arcing (well I hope^^)

PS: Unfortunately there isn't such organization as Freecycle/Gumtree where I live. Makes it a bit harder to find free MO components.
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Jun 23 2012, 09:15PM
Sorry for OT, PhilGood, if you're going to use the MOT in a VTTC I strongly suggest to use a half wave doubler and a tube which is capable of the voltage, this way you get rid of the core saturation and huge current draw on the primary. I actually get 60cm (24") sparks from a single big MOT with 8.8A @ 230V input, half wave doubled, no staccato.
PhilGood
Sun Jun 24 2012, 12:08AM
Hey Dr. Dark Current,

Your post is not OT at all, especially considering I'm talking about my VTTC in the previous post, and any suggestion is always welcomed, especially for a beginner like me :)

You are right, this MOT is for sure able to output a lot more than with my little 811A coil ^^

I am planning to build an HFVTTC using full wave rectified and smoothed MOT output as next coil.

What tube are you using in the coil you are talking about ? Did you post it on 4HV ?
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Jun 26 2012, 11:26AM
Phil,
I posted the coil in the "Add your Tesla coil here" thread. Seems not much people acutally check it out. See here: Link2

I'm using the GU-81M russian pentode.

PS, you can't full wave rectify a MOT and ground the negative output, because one end of the secondary is connected to the core and you'll most likely get an arc over to the primary of the transformer. Or leave the negative floating, but then you'll need to use a filament transformer with at least 3kV isolation between the windings.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: