Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Medium size DRSSTC - Primary Flat or Helical

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Killa-X
Fri Jun 08 2012, 03:53AM Print
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
My DRSSTC currently features a Helical primary. It's climb height is about 5 inches, and maintains 3 inches from the secondary. As it sits, i never had issues with it flashing over to the secondary. However, I want the best out of this coil, and I see a lot of the large DRSSTCs using flat primary coils instead of helical or cone. Steve wards for example. I just want peoples suggestions on if i should keep mine as is, a Helical coil, or change it into a flat coil. Changing isnt a problem. I just have to cut out 8 new peices of acrylic that attach to my clamps that extend outward.

Let me know what you guys think.

Link2 I have had tuning issues in the past.

Link2 Primary

Thanks for your time. My last setup, a CM300 halfbridge, peaked at 7ft sparks for the power I gave it. This round, its CM300 fullbridge. I'll do proper tuning, but I want to make sure my primary is best suited for operation. Also ... I will get a better clamp for primary tap :D
Goodchild
Fri Jun 08 2012, 06:07AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Flat hands down for any DR. There is really no reason to do a helical primary in my opinion. With a flat primary you get a coupling in and around 0.2k which is more than plenty for most DRs and it is out of the way much less likely to be hit by racing sparks and toroid to primary flash overs. And on top of all of this flat is also way easier to build.

I used a helical on a DR once, my first DR, never again....

The only time I have really needed a helical primary is with my QCW where a coupling of 0.3k and greater was needed for proper operation and the top voltage was low enough that flash overs were not a problem, <70Kv in my case.

EDIT:

Also looking at your photo tuning was not the only problem, your coupling had to be insanely high with the secondary all the way down in the helical primary.
Steve Conner
Fri Jun 08 2012, 07:45AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
To my understanding, the tighter the coupling the better your coil will perform, until you reach the point that it starts flashing over because the gap between primary and secondary is too small. The flat primary doesn't have the optimum coupling coefficient, it just has about the highest coupling possible without flashovers in a high-powered coil. I think DRSSTCs would perform even better if this limitation could be overcome, perhaps by filling the coil system with oil or SF6.

I had this problem once, and rather than rebuild the primary, I rewound the bottom 2" of the secondary (which had been burnt up by the flashovers anyway) with a heavier gauge of wire.
Uspring
Fri Jun 08 2012, 10:46AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
What about using a conical primary? Seems like a compromise between flat and helical ones. JavaTC will do the math, e.g. coupling for you.
Dr. Drone
Fri Jun 08 2012, 02:31PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Goodchild
Fri Jun 08 2012, 02:48PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

To my understanding, the tighter the coupling the better your coil will perform, until you reach the point that it starts flashing over because the gap between primary and secondary is too small. The flat primary doesn't have the optimum coupling coefficient, it just has about the highest coupling possible without flashovers in a high-powered coil. I think DRSSTCs would perform even better if this limitation could be overcome, perhaps by filling the coil system with oil or SF6.

I had this problem once, and rather than rebuild the primary, I rewound the bottom 2" of the secondary (which had been burnt up by the flashovers anyway) with a heavier gauge of wire.

Well there is a way to overcome this limitation turn that DR into a QCWDR and get those top volts way down. wink

In that case I'm all for high coupling and helical primaries!

Also Dr. Spark I almost smashed my screen thinking there was a bug on neutral
brandon3055
Fri Jun 08 2012, 03:11PM
brandon3055 Registered Member #4548 Joined: Mon Apr 23 2012, 03:52AM

Well there is a way to overcome this limitation turn that DR into a QCWDR and get those top volts way down. wink
[/quote1339168145]

What is a QCWDR?
Dr. Drone
Fri Jun 08 2012, 04:56PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Goodchild
Fri Jun 08 2012, 08:13PM
Destroyer of mosfets wrote ...

[/quote1339168145]

What is a QCWDR?

A QCW is a DR the full name of the coil is a QCWDRSSTC. A QCW is DRSSTC with a high tank impedance and control over the current envelope. Same basic principles as a DR apply.
Killa-X
Sat Jun 09 2012, 12:46AM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
Well, Is it suggested that I rise my DRSSTC secondary so its not so far deep into my helical, or is it best I just rebuild the primary flat, and adjust coupling from there. I can do either. Obviously it be easier to keep the current design, and just rise the secondary, but, If flat primaries seem to run performance better, then I maybe should just build things that way..?
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: