Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

most efficient 80m antenna?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
alf
Sun Apr 08 2012, 09:45AM Print
alf Registered Member #3925 Joined: Fri Jun 03 2011, 10:50AM
hi,

i need to make an 80m antenna to use with the CW transmitter i made...
the thing is, the O/P power of the TX is only 7w max, so (unless i'm missing something)
the antenna would need to be as efficient as possible as to radiate a reasonable amount of power,
unfortunately i dont have 80m of space for a full-wave dipole, but i could make room for 20m
it doesnt need to operate on multiple bands, only 80m (3.58mhz)
i'm thinking that a coiled dipole is the correct thing, but idk anything about antennas.
any ideas?

thx in adv, Alf.
Proud Mary
Sun Apr 08 2012, 01:54PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
In favourable conditions, 7W CW will give you a reach of hundreds of miles and sometimes further at 3.5Mhz, with even a mediocre, makeshift antenna, such as a long wire thrown up into a tree.

The choice of antenna will be governed by local variables, the space and height availlable, limitations on height imposed by planning permission and proximity to aerodromes, accessible 'free' high points such as roofs and trees, signal 'shadows' caused by mountains and buildings, proximity to large metal structures, local EMI that can be reduced by a particular antenna orientation, ground conductivity, and last - but by no means least - money.

So if you'd like to tell us a bit more about the proposed antenna location, you'll get more helpful replies.
alf
Mon Apr 09 2012, 11:58AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

In favourable conditions, 7W CW will give you a reach of hundreds of miles and sometimes further at 3.5Mhz, with even a mediocre, makeshift antenna, such as a long wire thrown up into a tree.

The choice of antenna will be governed by local variables, the space and height availlable, limitations on height imposed by planning permission and proximity to aerodromes, accessible 'free' high points such as roofs and trees, signal 'shadows' caused by mountains and buildings, proximity to large metal structures, local EMI that can be reduced by a particular antenna orientation, ground conductivity, and last - but by no means least - money.

So if you'd like to tell us a bit more about the proposed antenna location, you'll get more helpful replies.

thx for ur reply,

i wouldnt worry too much about planning permission cuz its not permament, it can be removed at any time i guess.
there are no aerodromes, no high mountains or buildings...

its going in ze garden, lol between 2 trees, it can go as high as the trees i guess, 10m or something,
the antenna could be 20m long (horizontally) max.
and id hope as cheap as possible hehehe.

Proud Mary
Mon Apr 09 2012, 12:48PM
If you haven't got any dogbone antenna insulators, buy these:

Link2

(I have dealt with this seller several times, and he seems honest.)

Obtain some nylon or polypropylene cord/thin rope strong enough to to take the strain when the antenna and trees are flexing in the wind.

Pace out the distance between the trees. You have to bridge this gap as follows: cord - insulator - antenna wire - insulator - cord. Make sure the cord is long enough at either end so that the insulators are clear of the branches.

Now before cutting any of your cord, you can make your life easier if you thread the cord through one eye of the dogbone like a pulley, so you can raise and lower the antenna from the ground.

You also have to make a decision about the feeder. You can either (A) take the coax directly to one end of the antenna, making it fast to the dogbone to relieve strain on the electrical connection, OR (B) you can use the antenna in an "L" configuration, continuing the antenna wire downward from the dogbone directly to the back of the sender, or to a coaxial cable at some point in between.

How to choose? Well, if the "L" configuration (whose geometry is not very important) would take the antenna downlead close to domestic cables, other coaxial cables etc, I would choose to take the coaxial feeder all the way out to the first dogbone.

What wire to use? There are quite a few 'antenna wires' aimed at the amateur market, but green//yellow single 6mm Earth bonding wire as used in domestic installations will do just as good a job, and will not be hard to find.

Solder the connection of the coaxial inner to the antenna wire, and coat liberally with a flexible non-conductive sealant, or self-almagamating tape.

Don't put too much tension on the antenna. A dead straight line is not necessary. A slight curve will allow for flexing of the trees in heavy weather.

Don't fall out of the tree! smile

PS: I've just glanced at the power oscillator circuit with the EL84 that you've linked to. The unfiltered output will radiate every harmonic under the sun, right up into the VHF, so you may become a star of your neighbour's radio and TV sooner than you'd ever have dreamed possible. Strictly speaking, you should do all this setting up and reduction of harmonics with a dummy load, but get the thing off the ground, Alf, and then you can worry about attenuating unwanted emissions with a basic C-L-C pi filter next.

alf
Tue Apr 10 2012, 11:56AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

If you haven't got any dogbone antenna insulators, buy these:

Link2

(I have dealt with this seller several times, and he seems honest.)

Obtain some nylon or polypropylene cord/thin rope strong enough to to take the strain when the antenna and trees are flexing in the wind.

Pace out the distance between the trees. You have to bridge this gap as follows: cord - insulator - antenna wire - insulator - cord. Make sure the cord is long enough at either end so that the insulators are clear of the branches.

Now before cutting any of your cord, you can make your life easier if you thread the cord through one eye of the dogbone like a pulley, so you can raise and lower the antenna from the ground.

You also have to make a decision about the feeder. You can either (A) take the coax directly to one end of the antenna, making it fast to the dogbone to relieve strain on the electrical connection, OR (B) you can use the antenna in an "L" configuration, continuing the antenna wire downward from the dogbone directly to the back of the sender, or to a coaxial cable at some point in between.

How to choose? Well, if the "L" configuration (whose geometry is not very important) would take the antenna downlead close to domestic cables, other coaxial cables etc, I would choose to take the coaxial feeder all the way out to the first dogbone.

What wire to use? There are quite a few 'antenna wires' aimed at the amateur market, but green//yellow single 6mm Earth bonding wire as used in domestic installations will do just as good a job, and will not be hard to find.

Solder the connection of the coaxial inner to the antenna wire, and coat liberally with a flexible non-conductive sealant, or self-almagamating tape.

Don't put too much tension on the antenna. A dead straight line is not necessary. A slight curve will allow for flexing of the trees in heavy weather.

Don't fall out of the tree! smile

PS: I've just glanced at the power oscillator circuit with the EL84 that you've linked to. The unfiltered output will radiate every harmonic under the sun, right up into the VHF, so you may become a star of your neighbour's radio and TV sooner than you'd ever have dreamed possible. Strictly speaking, you should do all this setting up and reduction of harmonics with a dummy load, but get the thing off the ground, Alf, and then you can worry about attenuating unwanted emissions with a basic C-L-C pi filter next.

thank-you! :D

what kind of antenna is this? :)

ahh okay, im still struggling with getting the regen receiver to oscillate anywayz xD
the cw transmitter doesnt work so well now, the O/P power is greatly decreased... confused
maybe the crystal has failed or something

thanks again, Alf.
Proud Mary
Tue Apr 10 2012, 12:41PM
I'd call it "a long wire" or "end-fed long wire".

Quartz crystals: The crystals used in the heyday of single valve power oscillator transmitters like yours - the 1930s and 40s - were very much more robust and were designed to handle much higher power levels than one would expect today. So you may have overdriven your crystal, which may now be fractured, and continuing to resonate, but without its original enthusiasm.

To use modern crystals to their best advantage with a valve oscillator, it is best to generate the signal at the lowest level at which the circuit will still oscillate reliably and then amplify the signal by means of a buffer amplifier, which isolates the oscillator, and stop it being 'pulled' by changes in the power amplifier. This configuration uses three valves - oscillator, buffer amplifier, and power amplifier - but you can get away with two in one envelope - for example, a triode output pentode - with some some sacrifice of quality.

If you put up the circuit of your superregen, we can think about why it isn't working properly.
alf
Tue Apr 10 2012, 06:18PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I'd call it "a long wire" or "end-fed long wire".

Quartz crystals: The crystals used in the heyday of single valve power oscillator transmitters like yours - the 1930s and 40s - were very much more robust and were designed to handle much higher power levels than one would expect today. So you may have overdriven your crystal, which may now be fractured, and continuing to resonate, but without its original enthusiasm.

To use modern crystals to their best advantage with a valve oscillator, it is best to generate the signal at the lowest level at which the circuit will still oscillate reliably and then amplify the signal by means of a buffer amplifier, which isolates the oscillator, and stop it being 'pulled' by changes in the power amplifier. This configuration uses three valves - oscillator, buffer amplifier, and power amplifier - but you can get away with two in one envelope - for example, a triode output pentode - with some some sacrifice of quality.

If you put up the circuit of your superregen, we can think about why it isn't working properly.

ahh right,
so is that quarter wavelength? :)

ooh that would make sense with whats happening... what if i parallel/series a few xtals?
haha thanks but i got the regen receiver working :D, i hadnt connected the cathode to negative. lol.
havent heard anything yet, just hissing, squeaking xD

btw, i wanna use the regen rx ( Link2 ) to receive 80m cw...
would the tone be generated automatically by the receiver or would i have to make a separate beat frequency oscillator?

thanks again, Alf.
Proud Mary
Tue Apr 10 2012, 07:51PM
My encouragement has been directed at the so-called random wire antenna as I think this will be easiest for you to get started with, and can usually produce very satisfactory results for a small outlay. There's a useful blurb about random lengths to avoid here: Link2 You'll find out lots more if you Google for random wire antenna. I'm sure that not all of it will agree with what I have suggested, but that is often the way with antennas - everybody insists their own recipe is the best.

You can use a superregen to receive CW, but you will need to set the regeneration so that the detector is just oscillating. This oscillation mixes with the incoming signal to produce a beat note in the audio range. You can also demodulate FM with a superegen.

Signs that the superregenerative detector is working: a loud rushing, hissing sound which goes down almost to nothing when a strong signal is detected.

As for more crystals in series or parallel combinations, I think you would be throwing good money after bad, and only whet the oscillator's appetite for more! I realize that this advice may leave you without any oscillator at all, so I will have a think and see what can be done.
Steve Conner
Tue Apr 10 2012, 08:03PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Proud Mary is unfortunately right. These single valve transmitter circuits can drive a modern miniature crystal hard enough to shatter it. At least, that's what it says in my ancient RSGB Handbook.

And you can't connect a bunch of crystals in series or parallel. They'll interact and do crazy things.
alf
Wed Apr 11 2012, 11:13AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

My encouragement has been directed at the so-called random wire antenna as I think this will be easiest for you to get started with, and can usually produce very satisfactory results for a small outlay. There's a useful blurb about random lengths to avoid here: Link2 You'll find out lots more if you Google for random wire antenna. I'm sure that not all of it will agree with what I have suggested, but that is often the way with antennas - everybody insists their own recipe is the best.

You can use a superregen to receive CW, but you will need to set the regeneration so that the detector is just oscillating. This oscillation mixes with the incoming signal to produce a beat note in the audio range. You can also demodulate FM with a superegen.

Signs that the superregenerative detector is working: a loud rushing, hissing sound which goes down almost to nothing when a strong signal is detected.

As for more crystals in series or parallel combinations, I think you would be throwing good money after bad, and only whet the oscillator's appetite for more! I realize that this advice may leave you without any oscillator at all, so I will have a think and see what can be done.

haha okay thx, i'll use like 25m or magnet wire or something xD

ahhh thats cool, haha was worried i'd have to make a different type of rx :P

really, thats good 'cause thats what im hearing :))
i made a colpitts oscillator which oscillates at 3.5mhz, and when i tune the regenerative receiver to that frequency
it becomes silent :D

btw, could the random wire antenna be used to receive with the regen rx without retuning it? :D

ah right maybe i'll make a vfo xD

thanks, Alf.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: