All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

non-DR QCW's

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. ISOTOP
Mon Apr 02 2012, 06:53PM Print
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Do QCW coils need to be double-resonant to get good spark-to-power ratio? From Steve Ward's measurements we know that the topload voltages are only ~50KV, so it appears that the resonant voltage and current buildup that makes a DRSSTC so wonderful is not necessary.
teravolt
Tue Apr 03 2012, 01:03AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
hmmmm
Gregory
Tue Apr 03 2012, 03:49AM
Gregory Registered Member #2922 Joined: Sun Jun 13 2010, 12:08AM
I think that you need a a drsstc because the ressonant swicthing, and, in a sstc you will have some reatance reflected on the primary. This question come in good hour I'm making one QCW, the buck is working good and now I'm working on a sstc to test the buck, so, lets see the results
Goodchild
Tue Apr 03 2012, 06:05AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
From my experiments I would say you need the DR effect in a QCW. YOU can look at two similar examples a SSTC drive with half rec mains and a VTTC with half rec mains. Both systems are using the same type of input waveform into there main switching section, but the VTTC has one difference from the SSTC, a resonant tank capacitor. I personally think that the higher currents seen in the primary of a QCW are important in the generation of the long sparks because of there inherent current drive nature. i.e. length is more a function of drive current and time than voltage.

Although the currents seen in a VTTC are much lower than a QCW it has a much higher drive voltage to make up the difference.

I don't see this effect being possible with a SSTC unless a insanely high voltage was used or a supper low primary Z. In ether of these cases the SSTC would become a resonant system because the parasitics would then become the resonant component of the primary.

I'm probably totally wrong here so yeah um, yeah! :P
Dr. ISOTOP
Tue Apr 03 2012, 07:42AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
I wonder whether QCW's like high primary currents or long pulses more, i.e. for a given modulator capacity, should one aim for reasonably long ramps that hit a very high Ipk, or long, slow ramps with low slope.
I'm actually sort of inclined to believe its the latter right now, given how low primary risetimes seem to facilitate spark growth. Has anyone tried playing with this?
Avalanche
Tue Apr 03 2012, 08:07AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I'm building a QCW as an SSTC, or I was - it's been on hold since Christmas!

My theory is that with an SSTC, streamer output is pretty much proportional to DC bus voltage anyway, so my QCW will simply modulate the DC bus voltage (no current feedback necessary). Because streamer growth will be in the rising part of the voltage envelope, I can get away without a feedback loop at all - as it doesn't matter what happens to the DC bus voltage after the streamer has reached maximum length (as long as it dies back down before the next streamer).

Might work cheesey

Edit - I should clarify, by "streamer output" I mean total streamer mass - or total volume of plasma. By streamer growth, I mean the shape given to that given volume of streamer mass caused by the shape of the voltage envelope, or it's rate of rise.
Steve Conner
Tue Apr 03 2012, 09:06AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Steve Ward's original QCW used DC bus voltage modulation without any current feedback, so that is the approved way of doing it. My experiments with current feedback were none too impressive, and I plan to stop using it.
Goodchild
Tue Apr 03 2012, 03:26PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
bwang wrote ...

I wonder whether QCW's like high primary currents or long pulses more, i.e. for a given modulator capacity, should one aim for reasonably long ramps that hit a very high Ipk, or long, slow ramps with low slope.
I'm actually sort of inclined to believe its the latter right now, given how low primary risetimes seem to facilitate spark growth. Has anyone tried playing with this?

Well basically if you give the QCW to much PW and not enough voltage you get very fat stubby sparks. but on the other hand if you don't give it enough PW at high voltage the spark with branch. It is a carful balancing act between voltage and PW as you want to make the spark longer you add voltage, but at the same time you also need to increase PW to give the spark the necessary time to heat up the air or it will simply branch out. This is the only way I know of to keep the plasma column straight.

Well correction, you can also use a larger e-field (bigger toroid) to keep it straight, this also needs less voltage.
Gregory
Tue Apr 03 2012, 04:07PM
I will stop thinking about and try it. yestardey I made a full bridge with two iifp460 in parallel for each switch. I plan to use 30 to 300v or more, last see what hapens.
Gregory
Thu Apr 05 2012, 03:37AM
I tryed it and I saw that the modulator was making his job bad. I think that is because the reative load of the sstc primary
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: