All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

drsstc primary strike protection

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ben Solon
Fri Mar 30 2012, 09:19PM Print
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
hey, i noticed here Link2 that steve uses the .1 caps to protect the power electronics from primary strikes. the caps however are limited by their voltage rating and may punch through if the stike is bad enough though. i just had a thought: would something like a gas discharge tube with a breakdown just over the maximum voltages seen in normal operation? this way it would both suppress overvoltage due to bad conditions on the bridge(just like the tvs diodes and snubbers) and the primary strikes that would kill the protective features(tvs diodes and snubbers).
dude_500
Fri Mar 30 2012, 11:08PM
dude_500 Registered Member #2288 Joined: Wed Aug 12 2009, 10:42PM
Well, overvoltage shouldn't really burn out a TVS. That's the whole point of them. They breakdown and ensure that the voltage never exceeds their designed breakdown voltage. You can't put "too much voltage" across a TVS, because the device will prevent the voltage from going that high. All you can do is put too much power through them to physically burn them up. I don't think a typical ground arc could ever do that though.

That being said, I'm not exactly sure where you would put a TVS diode. Across the 0.1uF protection cap?
Ben Solon
Sat Mar 31 2012, 01:23AM
yes, that makes sense, but with a really powerful or long strike, you *may* possibly burn them out. the 1.5KE220CA which may people use can only dissipate 7W on an infinite heatsink. 1500W pulsed but still. with a tube, you can dump a lot more power into them. if you have a tvs rated for 1.5kW and breakdown of 600v, you can only pulse 2.5A. a tvs diode is really nothing more than a spark gap anyways.

But then why don't people do this? i have never seen a coil with a tvs protection for this purpose. strike rails are all fine and good, but unless you have the primary in a cage, there is still a small possibility that you can get a strike.

and where to put them? because the dc bus is at an ac neutral "ground", and the arcs are looking for rf ground, you could put a tvs or tube from the igbt emitter-collector connection(both for a full bridge) to rf ground. this way, the resonant ring up on the primary circuit has 1200v before it shorts the tank and primary. but it only has 600v before an arc grounds itself.

and argue with me cheesey i want to learn!
dude_500
Sat Mar 31 2012, 06:01AM
dude_500 Registered Member #2288 Joined: Wed Aug 12 2009, 10:42PM
Keep in mind a 10kw coil being dumped into a TVS through an arc will dissipate very little actual power into the TVS because of the voltage divider between the TVS diode and the arc itself. The arc has many times the voltage of the TVS rating, so the arc will dissipate the vast majority of the energy. It can be thought of exactly like a resistor divider if you know the actual topload voltage.
Ben Solon
Sat Mar 31 2012, 03:09PM
ok, now that i think about it the arc does eat up a lot of energy with heat/light/etc.

so to use this design where would you put the tvs diodes? same place i pointed out , or where steve was his caps?
Steve Conner
Sat Mar 31 2012, 06:22PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I must admit that I don't see the point of using TVS in this way.

What would blow your IGBTs would be the differential mode overvoltage. This is clamped by the IGBTs' antiparallel diodes and the DC bus capacitors, so there is no point in putting TVS across the IGBTs, except as band-aids for an excessively high inductance bridge layout. And even then. you may find that modern IGBTs have a bigger avalanche rating than the TVS that are supposed to be protecting them.

The common-mode overvoltage appears between primary and secondary of your GDT, causing it to arc over. The 0.1uF cap shown in Steve's design seems to do a perfectly good job of keeping it down. It's what I've always used in my DRSSTCs. (one of them also has the ferrite clamp on the GDT wires, but I built another without it, and it didn't seem to make much difference)

Technically speaking that capacitor is a Class Y unit and shouldn't be more than 4700pF for safety reasons, but I ignore that. It's hardly the biggest electrical safety violation around Tesla coils. smile

If you used a gas discharge tube instead of a capacitor, things could get messy, because they are a short circuit once they arc over. From the negative rail of your DC bus, that would be a short between the mains and ground through the bridge rectifier. Things would go boom.

If you used a TVS, it probably doesn't have the right safety approvals for Class Y service, being made of silicon and not at all self-healing.
Steve Ward
Sat Apr 07 2012, 05:22AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Ive actually gone a step further and build full EMI filters on my DC bus for power electronic protection. There is a "Y-cap" from each side of the bus to ground, then a common mode choke where the DC power enters the tesla coil housing. At the same time, i do have very good strike rail and shielding placement around the electronics of the tesla coil, so i dont test this safety system too much.
Terry Fritz
Sat Apr 07 2012, 10:28PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
I buy about $1000 worth of TVSs a year so maybe I know something. Ok, Mine are like 24V 5000W...

But a little TVS is not going to take a giant power hit despite the fact that they are really tough. You would be better off with big MOVs in general that have a lot of thermal mass to absorb real power.

But the advantage of TVSs is that they are super fast!! Like pico second reaction times! In my world of super power LiPO batteries and Neodymium magnet motors, the folks really can hit some super (~5nS) spikes that would go right past a slow old MOV and cut up the FET die.

So my suggestion would be to use big MOVs to take the power of the hit, but also parallel bit higher voltage TVSs that can clamp very high speed spikes. The TVS takes the fast spike and then the MOVs take over for the power dissipation.

Just a thought there...

Terry

BTW - This long forgotten paper might be helpful too. That really did work.

Link2

Link2
Steve Conner
Sun Apr 08 2012, 07:26AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Wow, Terry Fritz. smile

I don't see why the DRSSTC protection thing wouldn't work, but the odds of a dead short across the inverter output are pretty slim. Except in some of the more adventurous builds that use multiple inverters with the outputs combined, where failure of one inverter would short out the others. Steve Ward and a few others have used ballasting inductors to mitigate this.

Just for the record, is there an official site with all of your papers on it? We regularly get questions about the Terry Filter here, and it would be nice to be able to point people to the original experiments.
Terry Fritz
Mon Apr 09 2012, 11:44PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Steve said,

I don't see why the DRSSTC protection thing wouldn't work, but the odds of a dead short across the inverter output are pretty slim

That is what was blowing my DRSSTC up when the streamers hit primary. The primary strike currents were turning the opposing FETs on when they were not supposed to be on and cross conducted very dramatically. I still have the videos too... But mine was a little odd. cheesey Remember the sudden speeds at which a strike can dump dramatic currents...

Link2

Just for the record, is there an official site with all of your papers on it?

Even I just go here:

Link2

The Internet seldom forgets*.

drsstc.com Did catch some later stuff like the paper of interest.

I you want a copy of everything you cam PM me... I forget the size but I finally bought a DVD burner just to distribute that many years back. I have not logged into DRSSTC.COM in 5+ years... But the Cobalt SUN server still sits here on my desk so we still talk smile I still have a NOS one too in storage, but the SUN things never die!!!! tongue

I usually let others answer the Terry Filter things since the kids probably know more than Daddy there now cheesey

Terry

*I may have been among the first to actually loose some good Internet site stuff too rolleyes
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: