All today's birthdays', congrats!
David.Lightman (54)
jonny5 (40)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

IR2110 H-Bridge Inverter for Induction Heater

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
mohiuddinHimel
Mon Jan 02 2012, 07:18PM Print
mohiuddinHimel Registered Member #4254 Joined: Sat Dec 10 2011, 09:36PM
Hi,

I was designing a High Power High frequency Induction Heater inverter. I've choose H-bridge configuration for the inverter
and IR2110 gate drivers to drive the bridge. As the IR2110 is a half-bridge driver i'll use two of them to drive the both sides.
I've done a rough circuit(just drawing). As i dont know much about power electronics i wonder if there is any mistake.

Any kind of advice, recommendation, and any kind of error that should be fixed in my circuit will be highly appreciated!!!

Also i've some questions:

1) what is the use of C3 n how i'll calculate the value?
2) Exactly which back EMF protection Diode should i use as D' ?
3) Do i need to use an opto-isolator for high side nMosfets?

The intended frequency is 150KHz and the Mosfet's are N-type.

PLz help!!
Bridge
Inducktion
Mon Jan 02 2012, 07:27PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
1. I don't know what the purpose of C3 is unfortunately.

2. Most Mosfets have body diodes already built in them. Check the speed of them, if it's faster than say, 200 nS you're fine and don't need an external one. The faster the better.

3. You do not need to use an opto-isolator if the gate driver has high side driving. However, it could be useful to prevent your logic from exploding in case your mosfets fail.
The Lightning Stalker
Mon Jan 02 2012, 09:43PM
The Lightning Stalker Registered Member #4230 Joined: Sat Nov 26 2011, 05:50AM
That looks pretty sweet to me. I was looking for a single chip solution like this, except that it would drive all four transistors. To answer your questions:

1. C3 is a filter cap for the low side driver driver portion of the chip. It helps isolate the low side driver portion of the chip from any switching noise on the ground and 15V supply rails. It also stores some energy close to the chip for when it demands current to charge the gate of the low side MOSFET. This should be at least a 100nF ceramic type. If you're seeing funny stuff on the low side (or both) gates when the circuit is running, try using bigger ones. If you have to go a lot bigger (above like 1uF), you'll probably be forced to use solid tantalum.

2. Like Dr. Duck says, you may not need any. I think something like the RURG8060 may be a good place to start looking if you need these, but I'm not sure if they're up to snuff at this frequency. You may need something even bigger at really high power levels.

4. The short answer is no. The circuit as drawn works fine assuming nothing goes wrong. I agree with Dr. Duck on this as well, but the place to put the optoisolators, if you use them, would be before the PWM input. It might not be a bad idea to use a couple temporarily during testing to avoid frying your PWM circuitry, but keep in mind they will add delay that may need to be compensated for.
Marko
Mon Jan 02 2012, 10:15PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Any kind of advice, recommendation, and any kind of error that should be fixed in my circuit will be highly appreciated!!!

Yep, there is, a parallel LC fed by a voltage fed inverter is a certain instant mosfet death. You should look into "LCLR" , "Series" or current-fed topology IH's.

For all but the current fed ones, you're going to need some sort of feedback loop to keep your work coil current at safe levels when the workpiece is not present.

This is a simple project you might want to have a look at:

Link2

Dr. ISOTOP
Tue Jan 03 2012, 05:02AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Dr. Pork wrote ...

For all but the current fed ones, you're going to need some sort of feedback loop to keep your work coil current at safe levels when the workpiece is not present.

Bleh, feedback is overrated; mine ran open-loop and never blew up tongue
The IR2110 is probably not going to drive transistors big enough for induction heating.
Also, you should look into using a matching transformer, or LCLR.
mohiuddinHimel
Fri Jan 06 2012, 10:59PM
mohiuddinHimel Registered Member #4254 Joined: Sat Dec 10 2011, 09:36PM
Dr. Pork wrote ...

This is a simple project you might want to have a look at:

Link2

I really like your circuit! it made my life lot more easier dude! even now i want to try this one first!! but several questions

1) Can i use 1N4937 diodes as "fast didoes" in your circuit? because it is the fastest possible diode in my country.
2) Is it mandatory that both of the inductors have to have same value? i'll make them with ferrite toroids and wound enamel insulated wire around them.
3) for the power supply can i use 24VDC (220 Vac to 12Vac transformer, 400 watt, rectified and voltage doubled by two big caps)?
4) What determines the frequency of this oscillator?? simple f=1/(2pie*sqrt-root(LC)) ?
Marko
Fri Jan 06 2012, 11:37PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
1. 1N4937 should work, yes.

2. Just wind the same number of turns on both of them! Use yellow toroids from PC power supplies. Do not use ferrite toroids.

3. Should work, providing your doubler caps are large enough.

4. What you said - and the L is inductance of the work coil, not chokes as some people think. In my case the circuit resonates with a 4uF cap at about 100kHz.

Marko
Patrick
Sat Jan 07 2012, 03:00AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
why is there a 1k resistor from gate to emitter? some of my IC's datasheets show them being used too.
Daedronus
Sat Jan 07 2012, 03:36AM
Daedronus Registered Member #2329 Joined: Tue Sept 01 2009, 08:25AM
Patrick wrote ...

why is there a 1k resistor from gate to emitter? some of my IC's datasheets show them being used too.

Makes sure they don't turn on by accident while the driver is unpowered?
It doesn't take much to turn on a mosfet, just touching the gate is enough.
Dr. ISOTOP
Sat Jan 07 2012, 03:57AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Patrick wrote ...

It's a pulldown resistor, there largely as a safety measure.
If the driver fails you don't want the gate to stay charged and make the transistor go boom.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: