Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Some advices for my first coilgun

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Pinkamena
Tue Nov 29 2011, 03:22PM Print
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
Good day!

I am currently designing a coilgun that I am planning to build next summer. I have spent the last days reading up on the subject, doing simulations, and trying to get a grip of what design would be most effective. But I am a little blown back at how difficult it is to derive the perfect design, due to all the different factors involved, like coil turns, wire width, projectile weight and size, inductance, pulse width and length, etc. So I thought I should finally make a user here (I have lurked quite a bit already), and ask for some guidance. I am getting the feeling that when it comes to coilguns, experience beats calculations.

The coilgun will be powered by my 3,6kJ cap bank that I built last summer. It works like a treat! You can see two pictures of it below.

I have for now thought of using a 4 or 3-stage design, splitting the large cap bank into smaller ones. The projectile is a 200-300 gram iron rod, 2-3 cm diameter. The cap bank will be split into 3 or 4 smaller banks, one for each stage. I have literally no idea of how many turns my coils should have, how long they should be (except they need to be the same length as my projectile), and how thick of a wire I should use. I'll use a PVC tube for a barrel.

So, yeah, I'd very much like to hear your input on this. Please let me know how I can improve this design, or how you would have built it! The only thing that's set is the capacitor bank size, everything else can still be changed. Oh, and I've already worked out a good way to get the timing of the coils right, so at least that's out of the way!

I am eager to hear your suggestions.

1322579994 4237 FT0 Dsc00618

1322579994 4237 FT0 Img 20110814 181358

Saz43
Tue Nov 29 2011, 05:19PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Sounds like a good project, and I think you're off to a good start. The multistaging is a great idea, but only if you plan on taking the time to tune each stage. Many people choose to make a multisage gun but don't put any time into tuning it, so they still end up with 2% eff or worse, which defeats the purpose and extra work.

Add one stage at a time, calculate its efficiency seperate from the other stages (simple math) and tune it until it's giving good performance. Depending on how you switch your coil, the first stage should get at least 2%, and the following stages should get 3% to 10%. Therefore, it would make sense to make the first stage less energetic than the following ones to get the low efficiency "pre-acceleration" or "injection" out of the way then hit it with the real power in the higer efficiency 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stages.

Balance that with the fact that, as the projectile speeds up, well timed coils will have shorter and shoret pulses so you will be able to add less and less energy efficiently. My best reccomendation is to use simulations and math to create a spreadsheet that predicts the timing and kinetic energy added for each coil before you go and buy or build anything. I'm more than happy to provide examples of the math if you ask, but judging by the pictures you posted I think you know what to do.

Good luck and I hope you finish!
Turkey9
Tue Nov 29 2011, 06:35PM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
If you have the funds or are lucky enough with your scavenging, I would try and build a multistage coilgun using IGBT H-bridges. I would make a small kicker coil to start the projectile going (something that doesn't need to be tuned perfect but only uses enough energy to start the projectile going down the barrel) and then have the remaining 3-4 stages switched by the IGBTs.

Here's the trick: Don't split up your bank. Since the IGBTs can be turned off (unlike SCRs) you don't have to worry about the first stage completely draining your bank. This will also cut down on the need for tuning (it will still need it, but not by physically changing the coils). I would make each coil pretty large so that the voltage on the bank won't drop much per stage. You can use an optical sensor before each coil tied directly to your IGBT for triggering. When the signal goes high, turn on the IGBT. When it goes low, turn off the IGBT.

Your main concern with this design is finding an IGBT that can withstand the current. To get an idea what current to expect, I would first start by picking the length of your projectile. Then you know your coil length too (1.5x projectile length). Start calculating inductances - either using Barry's calculator or the raw equations - for each layer added to the coil. Then using Barry's RLC sim you can find the peak current for each inductance. Keep adding layers until you find that the circuit is overdamped. The peak current for that coil is what I would use to find the right IGBT.

I know that this system is pretty complicated but you should be able to get the best efficiency out of it. Plus, that's what I would do!

In general though, I would just say to use thick wire (14 gauge and greater) and definitely make it multi-stage.
Pinkamena
Tue Nov 29 2011, 08:37PM
First of all, thank you both for your detailed comments. Much appreciated!

Saz43 wrote ...

Sounds like a good project, and I think you're off to a good start. The multistaging is a great idea, but only if you plan on taking the time to tune each stage. Many people choose to make a multisage gun but don't put any time into tuning it, so they still end up with 2% eff or worse, which defeats the purpose and extra work.

Add one stage at a time, calculate its efficiency seperate from the other stages (simple math) and tune it until it's giving good performance. Depending on how you switch your coil, the first stage should get at least 2%, and the following stages should get 3% to 10%. Therefore, it would make sense to make the first stage less energetic than the following ones to get the low efficiency "pre-acceleration" or "injection" out of the way then hit it with the real power in the higer efficiency 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stages.
Interesting. I had thought of having more power in the first stage, and less in the next. But I now see that this approach is wrong! Calculating efficiency is a walk in the park, I study physics.

Saz43 wrote ...

Balance that with the fact that, as the projectile speeds up, well timed coils will have shorter and shoret pulses so you will be able to add less and less energy efficiently. My best reccomendation is to use simulations and math to create a spreadsheet that predicts the timing and kinetic energy added for each coil before you go and buy or build anything. I'm more than happy to provide examples of the math if you ask, but judging by the pictures you posted I think you know what to do.
Actually, I would very much like if you could give me an example of how to calculate the kinetic energy added per stage. I will definitively plan everything very well in advance, but what's giving me the biggest headache in this project, is deciding exactly how many turns each stage should have. More turns increases resistance, which increases pulse length, which decreases magnetic flux. But at the same time, more turns adds magnetic flux. I am confused.

Turkey9 wrote ...

If you have the funds or are lucky enough with your scavenging, I would try and build a multistage coilgun using IGBT H-bridges. I would make a small kicker coil to start the projectile going (something that doesn't need to be tuned perfect but only uses enough energy to start the projectile going down the barrel) and then have the remaining 3-4 stages switched by the IGBTs.
So you think I should have the kicker coil powered separately from my cap bank? I can do that. I have some big caps lying around I could use to power it.

Turkey9 wrote ...

Here's the trick: Don't split up your bank. Since the IGBTs can be turned off (unlike SCRs) you don't have to worry about the first stage completely draining your bank. This will also cut down on the need for tuning (it will still need it, but not by physically changing the coils). I would make each coil pretty large so that the voltage on the bank won't drop much per stage. You can use an optical sensor before each coil tied directly to your IGBT for triggering. When the signal goes high, turn on the IGBT. When it goes low, turn off the IGBT.
Interesting approach. I searched for IGBTs in the electronics store I use, they didn't seem too expensive. But will this not give a lot of power to the first coils, and less to the others? I thought (after reading Saz43s comment) that the last coils needed the most power. I have already designed a circuit to switch an SCR on when a beam of light is broken by the projectile, shouldn't be too difficult to alter it to work with an IGBT.

Turkey9 wrote ...

Your main concern with this design is finding an IGBT that can withstand the current. To get an idea what current to expect, I would first start by picking the length of your projectile. Then you know your coil length too (1.5x projectile length). Start calculating inductances - either using Barry's calculator or the raw equations - for each layer added to the coil. Then using Barry's RLC sim you can find the peak current for each inductance. Keep adding layers until you find that the circuit is overdamped. The peak current for that coil is what I would use to find the right IGBT.

I know that this system is pretty complicated but you should be able to get the best efficiency out of it. Plus, that's what I would do!

In general though, I would just say to use thick wire (14 gauge and greater) and definitely make it multi-stage.
Hmm... Yes, a little more complicated than what I had in mind, but I can make it work. Multistage is a no-brainer! But should I not use thinner wire for the first stages, and thicker for the last ones, in order to increase current per stage, thus increasing magnetic flux? I was under the impression that the magnetic flux should increase, and pulse lenght decrese, per stage.
Saz43
Tue Nov 29 2011, 10:02PM
To clarify, you want a small amount of energy in the first stage because it will be the least efficient. After that, you want to have considerably more energy in the 2nd stage, but from there you will use less and less energy in subsequent stages because as the projectile goes faster, there will be less and less time for your coil to act on it as it flies through faster and faster.

I'll do an example of the math and post it when I get home.
Turkey9
Wed Nov 30 2011, 12:51AM
Pinkamena wrote ...

But should I not use thinner wire for the first stages, and thicker for the last ones, in order to increase current per stage, thus increasing magnetic flux? I was under the impression that the magnetic flux should increase, and pulse lenght decrese, per stage.

Are you thinking thinner wire with same number of turns will decrease the magnetic flux because of it's higher resistance than thicker wire?

When working with coilguns, the resistance from the wire doesn't have a noticeable effect on the peak current when compared to it's inductance. What the resistance of the coil does do (along with the ESR of the capacitors) is damp the waveform. What you'll want is to vary the number of turns with the same thickness of wire. More turns, higher inductance, less current, longer pulse.

The kicker coil from a different supply will take care of the efficiency concerns Saz was talking about. It will be terribly inefficient but that won't matter as it will be only a small percentage of the total energy. To take care of the issue of most of the energy being used in the first stage, you need to make your coils very large. The high inductance should help make sure that only the proper amount of energy is used in each coil. This however is where there is some uncertainty: how many turns? This is where you might have to guess or experiment. If the coil is too large, the current won't build up very high (and the magnetic field) by the time the projectile has reached the center and the coil is switched off. If the coil is too small, most of the energy of your bank will be used in the first stage, or worse, all of it.

For the IGBT, I doubt the ones you found in your store would work. They will need to handle at least 1000A @ your bank voltage.

Now that I think about it, the IGBT approach will work better the faster the projectile is traveling initially. Ideally, what you want is for the voltage on your coil to look like the very first part of the normal RLC waveform where the voltage is decaying the slowest. The faster your projectile is moving, the shorter time the IGBT is on and the less voltage decay occurs. Anyway... you can play around with a system like that and figure out the best configuration. There aren't vary many good studies of this type of coilgun on this site.
Saz43
Wed Nov 30 2011, 02:40AM
As promised. The question on how to design a coil comes up all the time, so I figured I'd make something that explains it all at once. Maybe if I have more time in the future I'll make it in a nicer format.

Note that there are several assumptions and guesses required here, this is not an exact process, but it will result in a much better coil than you would get without it.

1322620816 1525 FT129408 Coilgun Design
Turkey9
Wed Nov 30 2011, 07:13AM
Nice Saz. I have a couple questions...

You say that efficiency is hurt by high peak current... Why is that? Is it because with a high peak current the system is under damped and much of the energy will be wasted in the protection diode? Or is it that with a high peak current and a critically damped system the pulse length would be too long? Maybe change that to a ratio of the pulse length to the peak current...
Pinkamena
Wed Nov 30 2011, 11:31AM
Turkey9 wrote ...

Are you thinking thinner wire with same number of turns will decrease the magnetic flux because of it's higher resistance than thicker wire?

When working with coilguns, the resistance from the wire doesn't have a noticeable effect on the peak current when compared to it's inductance. What the resistance of the coil does do (along with the ESR of the capacitors) is damp the waveform. What you'll want is to vary the number of turns with the same thickness of wire. More turns, higher inductance, less current, longer pulse.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Turkey9 wrote ...

For the IGBT, I doubt the ones you found in your store would work. They will need to handle at least 1000A @ your bank voltage.
I tried out Barrys RLC simulator, and I found that the coils never really got more than 350A. Also, can I not put some IGBTs in parallel to make them able to handle more current? I might have missed the point of an IGBT H-bridge, but it seems logical to me to do that.

Saz43 wrote ...

As promised. The question on how to design a coil comes up all the time, so I figured I'd make something that explains it all at once. Maybe if I have more time in the future I'll make it in a nicer format.

Note that there are several assumptions and guesses required here, this is not an exact process, but it will result in a much better coil than you would get without it.

Thank you very much, this will undoubtfully be valuable to me. I have a few questions though.
1. What turkey just asked.
2. What is a v-switch, I see you put it under efficiency pros. Also, what do you mean with Flux augmentation?
3. You say that the difference in t(rlc) and t should be less than 0.01 ms. Is this correct, or did you mean to write second instead of millisecond? I feel that would make more sense.
4. You say that a small/light projectile is bad for efficiency. How can I decide how big the projectile should be? Is it simply "Bigger is better"?
Saz43
Wed Nov 30 2011, 07:17PM
Turkey9 wrote ...

Nice Saz. I have a couple questions...

You say that efficiency is hurt by high peak current... Why is that? Is it because with a high peak current the system is under damped and much of the energy will be wasted in the protection diode? Or is it that with a high peak current and a critically damped system the pulse length would be too long? Maybe change that to a ratio of the pulse length to the peak current...

High peak current or just high current in general hurts efficiency because it tends to saturate the projectile. After the magnetic field is strong enough to saturate the projectile, the projectile will respond poorly to any further increase in field strength, you're familiar with the phenomenon but for anyone who isn't, link. You can get around this to some extent with a projectile made of material with a higher saturation point, but most coilguns use steel nails or screws, which already have a pretty high H_sat.

Pulse length mismatch and poor commutation (current wasted in diode) are also on that list but mostly are separate issues.

Pinkamena wrote ...

Thank you very much, this will undoubtfully be valuable to me. I have a few questions though.
1. What turkey just asked.
2. What is a v-switch, I see you put it under efficiency pros. Also, what do you mean with Flux augmentation?
3. You say that the difference in t(rlc) and t should be less than 0.01 ms. Is this correct, or did you mean to write second instead of millisecond? I feel that would make more sense.
4. You say that a small/light projectile is bad for efficiency. How can I decide how big the projectile should be? Is it simply "Bigger is better"?

1. See above
2. V-switch: Link2 Flux augmentation: Link2
3. I did mean 0.01 ms, coilgun current pulses are measured in ms, so the agreement should be within a fraction of a ms if you calculations are going to be relatively precise.
4. Heavier is better for efficiency, but bad for speed performance since heavier projectiles go more slowly. The best way is to do some research here, find other coilguns like yours that were successful, and look at the size of the projectile they used. The math I showed you will also help you predict how a given projectile will work. If it's way to light or heavy, you'll have a tough time getting t and t_RLC to converge for a realistic coil, bank & eff value.

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: