All today's birthdays', congrats!
Kipmans (34)
DuartmaN (47)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

QCW coil

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Wed Sept 28 2011, 10:05PM Print
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
So seeing as my x-ray machine requires only one 100ohm pot to be completed, I need another project. Now I was thinking about a 1'*4' DRSSTC to play my bass guitar through, and at first I was like: damn that's clunky...

BUT THEN, I came across steve ward's QCW coil.

=============================================== =====================================
Wow, that is quite amazing. That coil is about what, 1' tall and shoots out those huge lichenburg sparks?! I jelly, and in order to remedy this I must build one of those coils.

Does anyone happen to have any useful info those QCW coils?

[gren hopes this project won't take as long as his x-ray machine did]
Dr. ISOTOP
Wed Sept 28 2011, 10:53PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Ward's coil uses a modulated synchronous buck converter with 300A bricks as the power supply for a full bridge of minibricks (at least it did at one point, not sure what it uses now). Turns out if you feed a DRSSTC with a long triangular ramp, you can control the spark growth and get those long, straight sparks.
The design is pretty new, so there's not much info out there.
The hard part is the buck controller; regulating the pulse is not easy.
magnet18
Thu Sept 29 2011, 01:41AM
magnet18 Registered Member #3766 Joined: Sun Mar 20 2011, 05:39AM
Dawmn, That's impressive.
Has he posted a schematic anywhere?
I can't find one on google frown
Weston
Thu Sept 29 2011, 04:10AM
Weston Registered Member #1316 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2008, 03:35AM
Magnet18, Steve has not posted that much info about his QCW coil, and no schematic. From what I understand, this was to prevent the (often unaccredited) copying of his work.

Think of it as a challenge to design your own version. The concept is not that hard to understand. Sparks propagate differently depending on the rate of the rise in power. Steve has found a sweet spot where the sparks can propagate directly up and he can get large sparks from a small resonator without a fear of primary strikes.

Like bwang said, Steve uses a synchronous buck converter to directly modulate the buss voltage of a DRSSTC. He uses a primary with a relatively high impedance for a lower rise of current and to enable longer bursts. I believe his original coil had around a 300Khz secondary.

There is a thread which Steve started about his QCW coil that you should be able to find with the forum search. I also know Eric Goodchild was or is working on a QCW coil.
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Sept 29 2011, 09:25AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
An idea for a "QCW-like" coil using standard parts, non-DR version:
-Build a standard SSTC with the 4046 as the oscillator and run the bridge from smoothed dc supply.
-Modulate the VCO on the upper slope of the resonance curve (above resonant frequency).
-Certain waveform inputs to the VCO should produce a QCW-like effect, as the VCO frequency is indirectly regulating output power. Try falling ramp waveforms in the several ms to a few tens of ms range, with variable slope.

I wanted to try this idea but it seems like it's never gonna happen, so I post it here for you to experiment. If you succeed it would be nice to hear about your results.
Adam Munich
Thu Sept 29 2011, 10:55AM
"Magnet18, Steve has not posted that much info about his QCW coil, and no schematic. From what I understand, this was to prevent the (often unaccredited) copying of his work."

It's a bad idea to not share your discoveries, for if you don't --they disappear with you.

-------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

Drivers aside, it seems like the most logical way to start would be to make that short secondary. From the looks of it in the video, it seems to be 1 foot * 5 inches.

Here is some useful info I found on some other thread: Link2

So, the coil is 9" tall, runs at 350khz and uses a 4CX250B in series with the bus to modulate it? It seems like the most logical option now would be to build a 350khz coil of similar dimensions...
Goodchild
Thu Sept 29 2011, 03:50PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
If you are interested my web site has a couple schematics for QCW modulators I have tried including the one that I finally got working perfectly. A link to my site is at the bottom of my post. The schematics on my site are not direct copyable, you do have to do some research for them to make sense and be buildable.

The QCW needs 3 things to make it work properly:
1: A resonant frequency of 350KHz or more! This is important as the lower you go in frequency the more your sparks are going to branch.

2: A method of modulating the output power so to "ramp" the power into the spark, this is what is used to control the spark growth. the dp/dt determines also how the spark branching will be effected. A larger dp/dt with result in more branching were a smaller dp/dt will result in less branching. This figure has to be adjusted also for the length of sparks you are producing. a longer spark needs a smaller dp/dt.

3: You need a high impedance tank circuit say >20ohm this is also to help control current rise times with the extremely long on time.

This type of coil run in basically the same mode as a VTTC only the tube is replaced with a bridge of IGBTs and the mot/cap is replaced with a class D amp. The advantage to having a controllable modulator is that unlike a VTTC you are not limited to the length of the mains AC for your ramp time. As I said before this length of time is critical when making sparks and at 33 or so inches VTTCs max out because they have no more ramp to work with.

I did spend a great deal of time and silicon to get this to work right, it's not a project for beginners or even moderate coil builders. You should have a good knowledge of SMPS control theory and power electronics if you want to attempt this project.
ScotchTapeLord
Thu Sept 29 2011, 04:12PM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
Grenadier wrote ...

It's a bad idea to not share your discoveries, for if you don't --they disappear with you.

It's not so much a discovery as a creation. Material creations can succeed their creators regardless of whether or not people know about them.

One of the big issues here is the power supply and its controller, where shielding and protective circuits are crucial to the design's success. I had the pleasure of working with Steve a couple weeks ago, and his power circuitry is far beyond hobbyist grade, with regard to the components, layout, and mechanical structures (heatsinks and enclosure). Even with all that, it still suffered a pretty severe meltdown.

Grenadier wrote ...

So, the coil is 9" tall, runs at 350khz and uses a 4CX250B in series with the bus to modulate it? It seems like the most logical option now would be to build a 350khz coil of similar dimensions...

There is no tube. Linear regulation of the supply is out of the question for any appreciable amount of power. You need a synchronous buck for best results. It works the same way as a class D audio amplifier, essentially.
Adam Munich
Thu Sept 29 2011, 05:14PM
Limited to the AC cycle time in a VTTC...

So if I'm understanding correctly, this is a solid state DC coil which operates in the mode of a VTTC. Wouldn't it be possible to rectify and smooth a VTTC to achieve the same effect? With a big enough bus cap, you should have enough stored energy in there to power the long resonations...

"It works the same way as a class D audio amplifier, essentially."

Not necessarily. Have we forgotten about the magnetic amplifier? wink
Dr. Drone
Thu Sept 29 2011, 05:49PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: