All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Clear epoxy secondary coating

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Acacia
Tue Sept 27 2011, 06:37AM Print
Acacia Registered Member #4073 Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011, 08:43AM
Hello,

I have recently started making my first coil, (Mini SSTC from Steve Wards design) and I'm a bit stuck with coating my secondary.

The coil is somewhere between 900 and 1000 turns, wound onto a white PVC form, 42mm diameter by 166mm of total coil length.
I have read as many previous threads as i could find on the subject here, and I want to use clear epoxy to coat the coil. I have been into a few hardware shops and had a bit of a look around, and the only clear epoxy they have is in the syringes (14mL), and is supposed to dry in 5 minutes. Is this the stuff I need, or do i need to use other epoxys that dry slower? Also, would one or two of the small syringes be enough to coat the entire coil?

I want to finish the coil as soon as possible, and i dont want to do several coats.
Thanks, Nic.
ZakWolf
Tue Sept 27 2011, 02:31PM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
I never thought to coat a coil in epoxy, i think its a little to think to be moving it around smoothly. I went to the store and grabbed a small can of high gloss varnish. i put two coats on like 15-20 min apart of each other and then waited about 2 hours good to go, it was thick enough to where you could see the layer.
Kizmo
Tue Sept 27 2011, 02:52PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
This is my big drsstc secondary (315mm dia 1350mm long wound with 0.71mm wire) which i coated with epoxy. Single shot coating, no sanding or other work, just mixed almost 1000g patch at once and applied it on motorized winding jig with good quality brush.

It turned out to be really nice thich coat with almost no imperfections :)
1317134989 599 FT125009 Pipe Trimming

Epoxy is the way i will coat my coils in future! No more solvent fumes and multiple coats.

Type of epoxy used was this: Link2

It is sort of expensive but in future i will find out if normal boat epoxy with solvent could be used :)
Matt Edwards
Tue Sept 27 2011, 03:01PM
Matt Edwards Registered Member #2838 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 07:55PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again.. Link2
Keep it rotating until it is dry, use an hot air gun directly after it is applied to remove air bubbles.

You will be vary happy with the results. One $20 box is easily enough for 2-3 (3-4") secondaries.
Herr Zapp
Tue Sept 27 2011, 07:21PM
Herr Zapp Registered Member #480 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:08PM
Acacia -

You want to use a commercial clear epoxy coating resin with a "pot-life" of at least 1/2 hour. 5 minute epoxt would start to gell before you even began to get it applied to the coil.

I've applied epoxy coatings to secondary coils for years with uniformly excellent results. When done carefully, a single application of epoxy creates a thick coating that ends up looking like the secondary is encased in a glass sleeve.

Here's a link to the detailed application instructions:

Herr Zapp

]procedure_for_epoxy_coating_secondary_coils.pdf[/ file]
Acacia
Tue Sept 27 2011, 11:34PM
Ok, thanks for the responses. I will go and have a look around for these products or their equivalents. I just finished the control and power circuitry for the coil, so it shouldn't be too far away from being powered up, if i can coat this secondary today or tomorrow.

Thanks, Nic
lightlinked
Wed Sept 28 2011, 01:34AM
lightlinked Registered Member #2087 Joined: Tue Apr 21 2009, 08:32AM
i use finish epoxy from the local hobby shop. it's by bob smith industries and supports a local business. you can also get finish and slow cure epoxy at serious hardware stores, plastic supply places or if you want to spend too much, boat stores. thining it with denatured alcohol can help it flow better and the cure time will be longer. just keep it turning as it cures. I found it to be much less of a hassle than varnish which has to have each layer sanded or it will delaminate the coats of varnish. since there will be quite a bit of epoxy surface area you should wear a organic vapor respirator
Herr Zapp
Wed Sept 28 2011, 02:18AM
Acacia -

Don't even think about trying to epoxy coat a secondary without a variable-speed winding/coating jig to rotate the coilform during application and curing of the epoxy.

You'll want a speed range of around 10-30 RPM, depending on the coilform diameter.

A crude setup can be built using a variable-speed drill, or a nicer version using a DC motor driven right-angle speed-reducer.

Don't try to "rush" the job, or you'll end up with a disaster. You might want to try applying epoxy to a small section of bare PVC pipe first, to get a feel for the application process.

Herr Zapp
Acacia
Thu Sept 29 2011, 09:01AM
Herr Zapp, I have rigged up a variable speed drill to turn the coil at the right speed, so this is'nt a problem. I have also read how you coat your secondaries, and I plan on doing something very similar.

I havn't been able to find clear epoxy with apropriate drying times yet, but they do have polyurethane casting resin. I was wondering if this would be suitable, it is labelled to be crystal clear when cured, and has a cure time of 24 hours. The resin also shrinks when curing and generates heat, could this be a problem?

If this polyurethane casting resin isn't suitable, I can have more of a look around other hardware shops, as well as paint shops and hobby shops.

Thanks, Nic
Herr Zapp
Thu Sept 29 2011, 10:04PM
Acacia -

Never heard of polyurethane casting resin, are you sure it's not polyester? Any kind of casting resin may not be the best choice, as that is usually optimized to cure properly in thick sections, whereas "coating" or laminating resins are optimized for use in thin sections or coatings. Try hobby suppliers and specialty woodworking stores, as epoxy resins are frequently used for coating wooden tabletops, bar tops, counters, etc. Also check out marine supply stores, as epoxy resins are now being widely used in laminated fiberglass boat hulls.

Or, just google "clear epoxy coatings", there's got to be multiple suppliers down there.

Herr Zapp

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: