All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Eurofarad caps for MMC?

Move Thread LAN_403
RickR
Thu Aug 25 2011, 07:32PM
RickR Registered Member #93 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:11PM
Well, it'd be difficult to call it a MMC with these caps, more like an MC.

Anyway, I was looking at some Eurofarad capacitors available on eBay. These appear to be very beefy caps that, properly hooked together, *might* be useful for a DRSSTC tank. They weigh in at 3.75 uF, 580V(rms), 152 Amps (I'm assuming at their rated voltage).

Here's the link

Others here have referred to these as snubbers, and they certainly look like they might be, but I'm worried that they might just be some exotic type of filter cap with poor pulse characteristics.

Does anybody have any additional information about these caps? I've tried Google to no avail.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion about using these as tank caps for a medium-large DRSSTC.

Thanks,

Rick
Dr. ISOTOP
Thu Aug 25 2011, 08:08PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
RickR wrote ...

Well, it'd be difficult to call it a MMC with these caps, more like an MC.

Anyway, I was looking at some Eurofarad capacitors available on eBay. These appear to be very beefy caps that, properly hooked together, *might* be useful for a DRSSTC tank. They weigh in at 3.75 uF, 580V(rms), 152 Amps (I'm assuming at their rated voltage).

Here's the link

Others here have referred to these as snubbers, and they certainly look like they might be, but I'm worried that they might just be some exotic type of filter cap with poor pulse characteristics.

Does anybody have any additional information about these caps? I've tried Google to no avail.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion about using these as tank caps for a medium-large DRSSTC.

Thanks,

Rick
I've run them to 4KVA (apparent input, not reactive, power) in my induction heater with only mild heating. I think in their former life, these were GTO snubbers. Should be fine for a DRSSTC...judging from Eurofarad's GTO snubber ratings, this thing should have a ~2KVDC rating.
They only make sense for a large DRSSTC, though. Even with ten in series (which should be enough), you still have a 375 nF MMC.
RickR
Thu Aug 25 2011, 08:26PM
Thanks bwang, yours was the post I was referring to. Do you have any additional info on these things other than what was on the eBay page?

Rick
Kizmo
Fri Nov 11 2011, 07:14PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
I murdered one of these capacitos in the name of science.

Firt thing was overvoltage stress test. Since only RMS voltage was given, i wanted to test how high DC voltage these could stand. Guestimation from other snubber capacitor datasheets gave me values from 900VDC to 1300VDC

So i hooked up simple test setup: variac, rectified NST and HV meter:

1321038495 599 FT123061 Voltage Test

500V... 1000V... 1500V.. SNAP.. 1600V... 2000V... 2200V SNAP SNAP POP ok :)

Judging from that i would say absolute maximum DC voltage is 1kV

Now lets pop it open. Hacksaw cuts easily through fibre glass.

1321038633 599 FT123061 Cutting

Outer shell was very well glued. Couple teespoons of odorless mineral oil came out

1321038633 599 FT123061 Prying

1321038786 599 FT123061 Peeled

Terminal plate was soldered on sprayed metal. It required quite a bit of hammering.

1321038895 599 FT123061 Terminal Removed

They see me unrollin', they hatin

1321038786 599 FT123061 Unrolling

Foil separated from metallized film. Construction is identical compared to CDE942 series capacitors.

1321039015 599 FT123061 Peeling Foil From Metallized Film

I unrolled maybe 15 meters of this stuff and found couple self healing spots like one in picture. All at the edge of the foil as usual. Rest of the film looked really good

1321039074 599 FT123061 Self Healing Spot Found

I made a mess

1321039164 599 FT123061 What A Mess

So, what did we learn from this? Well, these eurofarad capacitors are Metallized film-foil hybrids just like CDE942 series. They are oil impregnated. Foil edges are bonded together with spray metal and terminals to spray metal with heavy soldering.

Just respect the voltage ratings and there is no reason what so ever why these would not work in any kind of tesla coil! :)
RickR
Fri Nov 11 2011, 07:58PM
Hey Kizmo,

Thanks for actually jumping in there and doing the experimental research! That's really useful information. I ended up buying 20 of these on the speculation that they'd be useful in a large DRSSTC. I haven't gotten to the point of using them yet, but your research indicates that they ought to perform well.

Thanks again,

Rick
Kizmo
Fri Nov 11 2011, 08:21PM

I have pile of these too and was wondering same thing.

Maybe next step of my more or less destructive testing is to put another cap in drsstc circuit and crank it up untill it starts popping (self healed flashover from peak voltage)

I have done this before with dry resin film caps, its very easy to hear and shouldnt hurt the capacitor too badly since its self healing type
Kizmo
Sat Nov 12 2011, 09:16PM
If you want to drill/tap holes this will help. Brass piece is 7mm thick, original M6 thread was made 6.5mm deep
1321132579 599 FT123061 Terminal Cutaway
Marko
Tue Dec 06 2011, 08:54PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hey guys

I see some of you are from europe, where exactly do you get the piles of these pretty caps?

They are very cheap on ebay but shipping to europe would be complicated.

Anyone happens to have one of those 100uF, 500A versions of those caps? I need one for an experiment :)

Marko

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: