Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

new DSO signal cross talk

Move Thread LAN_403
rp181
Mon Aug 01 2011, 10:02PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
I got a new DSO recently, an Agilent DSOX3014A. This scope is spec'd for 100mhz, and 2GSa/s (half channel, 4 GSa/s interleaved).

I am working on a primarily digital circuit right now, and I keep getting cross talk on the probes despite the fact it is a 12.5 mhz signal (the TCK on a JTAG interface).
Why am I getting this?
Without measuring TCK:
Link2
With TCK connected to probe 4:
Link2

I am also pretty sure that the signal on TDSNK is noise from the TDSRC channel.

All the probes are grounded with their respective clips.

EDIT: Actually, I do not think it is crosstalk on the probe end. When one probe is left unconnected and another has a 20mhz signal; all is fine. When I connect it to a grounded pin on the PCB though; it gets noisy. This is odd, as I have both a ground plane and power plane, and the majority of signals take perpendicular paths.
EDIT2: Checked my board design, and the 20mhz clk is no where near where I had it connected to. The only thing in between the two is the processor it is connected too...
Mattski
Tue Aug 02 2011, 03:59AM
Mattski Registered Member #1792 Joined: Fri Oct 31 2008, 08:12PM
Are the probe grounds isolated? I haven't run into this problem with scopes (yet) but maybe it's a ground loop issue.
GeordieBoy
Tue Aug 02 2011, 11:07AM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
You are using x10 probes right?

Otherwise when you add the capacitive load of a x1 scope probe (cable capacitance plus the scope input impedance) to MHz speed logic signals you are going to get a lot of capacitive current flowing. The capacitive loading of a x1 probe on a logic line with rapid rising and falling edges will cause large current spikes to flow at the transitions.

These large currents may well tax your grounding, or the displacement current originating from one probe may partially return from the scope to the equipment-under-test via the shields of the other three scope probes! Both of these effects can look like crosstalk in the scope, but are really artifacts produced when you connect the probes.

You can minimise the first effect by using x10 or x100 probes to load the fast logic signals as lightly as possible during measurement. And you can reduce the second effect dramatically by putting ferrite clamps (or sleeves) over all of your scope leads. These have no effect on the wanted signals, but choke any common-mode current that tries to run down the shield of the scope probe and would otherwise corrupt what you are trying to measure.

I hope this helps,

-Richie,
rp181
Tue Aug 02 2011, 12:58PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
I am using 10x probes, and if memory serves, they are 14pf.
So if I am understanding you correctly (that is a lot to take in!), the ground return path is not capable of returning through just the single probes shield, so it takes the paths through the other probes? I do not have any ferrite, but the scope does have a large GND terminal at the front. Will tying this to my board ground, and leaving the probe grounds unconnected, help any? I will try that when I get home.
Thank you, that was very helpful!

EDIT: My PSU has an earth ground connection, but I have been leaving that unconnected. Should I tie that to common?
EDIT2:
Link2
see #6 and #7. #7 shows what you mentioned about the ferrite. I am going to take a look at #6 first, since I don't have any ferrite on me.
EDIT3: It does seem a ground loop was part of the problem. I connected the PSU common to GND, and disconnected the probe grounds. Here is the result:
Link2
This actually looks correct, considering the driving voltage is 3v3 and the other configuration showed a peak of 4.2v, with a very dirty wave. However, there is still a signal on the other probes.

Thanks for the explanation. Now Im understanding why I burned up a probe back in the day on my analog scope!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: