All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Modeling of coilgun dynamics

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
WaveRider
Fri Jun 23 2006, 10:07AM Print
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
Just finalised my latest paper on modeling coilgun dynamics.

It describes my finite element method where losses and material saturation are taken into account. As well as reluctance coilguns, it will also model Thompson (induction) coilguns quite easily...

If there is enough interest, I can make the finite element software that was used to generate the results for this paper available on my mass accelerators site. This will also probably give me an excuse for improving the code as well as including more geometry examples (disc launchers, etc..)

Simon
Fri Jun 23 2006, 11:21PM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Great! I'll be giving it a read.

Are there any results you can summarise for the practical builders here?
WaveRider
Sun Jun 25 2006, 01:35PM
wrote ...
Are there any results you can summarise for the practical builders here?

Hi Simon..
I'm putting together some case studies which illustrate some of the results that might interest practical builders. This takes a bit of time, but I hope to have a draft out later this summer...

Do you have any particular questions that you'd like me to address?
Yohan
Wed Jun 28 2006, 02:51PM
Yohan Registered Member #194 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:52PM
Hey Wave, long time...

This might not be a question for the practical builder but, have you given any attention to a constant voltage source feeding an R,L circuit instead of just the R,L,C?

mike0t4ever
Thu Jun 29 2006, 04:47AM
mike0t4ever Registered Member #321 Joined: Wed Mar 15 2006, 03:33AM
just let C get very large (approximately infinity) and you get a const V source

in a small capacitance gun the capacitor is fully discharged (assuming ideal capacitor) and the inductance of the coil maintains a decaying current (R/L=time constant)

with a const voltage source (or an infinite capacitor) the current rises asymptotically to V/R (also with a R/L time constant)
with a projectile this is lower since the V= source voltage - velocity induced voltage

where velocity induced voltage depends on the speed of the projectile, its position, and the current
also if the velocity induced voltage is higher than the source voltage than the coil is outputing energy by slowwing the projectile
WaveRider
Thu Jun 29 2006, 08:29AM
Indeed, I just make the capacitor very large (3e5-1e6 uF). The current rises asymptotically, as you indicated, to approx Vc / R. During the firing, current will drop to V/(R+Rd).. (Rd is the dynamic resistance that arises as a result of projectile motion.) If you think in terms of "velocity induced voltage", projectile induced EMF opposes the applied voltage when entering the coil and adds to when exiting....the reverse of the situation you describe...

mike0t4ever
Sat Jul 01 2006, 03:14AM
mike0t4ever Registered Member #321 Joined: Wed Mar 15 2006, 03:33AM
yeah that's right L' is +ive when entering and -ive when exiting (slipped my mind)
WaveRider
Mon Jul 03 2006, 11:42AM
In the old forum, I posted some movies of the magnetic flux behaviour during a firing cycle. I have repeated some of the runs to look at the effects of varying sheath material (or the absence of a field concentrating sheath). More specific details on the firing currents, velocities will be given on my website...
However, these are some of the early results.

Open coil, steel armature (Bsat=2.0T) no armature loss (sigma = 0)

1151923484 29 FT11903 Airsthnoarmloss

This is a simple lossless armature accelerated by a an open coil. Flux lines penetrate the armature immediately at current switch-on (since the armature is not conductive). The upper rectangle represents the coil windings and the lower (moving) one is the armature.

Open coil, steel armature (Bsat=2.0T), conductive (sigma=4.0e4 S/cm)

1151924254 29 FT11903 Airsthwloss

Notice that the flux lines take time to penetrate into the projectile. This lowers the efficiency and the final velocity a bit. There is also a noticeable "flux-drag" effect at the end of the firing cycle.

Coil enclosed in lossless ferrite (Bsat=0.5T), lossless armature

1151924575 29 FT11903 Ferritesheathnoloss

By enclosing the coil in a ferrite sheath, acceleration performance can be enhanced. The upper "inverted U" polygon is the sheath. The coil windings are located in the rectangle nestled in the inverted "U" of the sheath.

Coil enclosed in lossless ferrite (Bsat=0.5T), lossy steel armature (sigma=4.0e4S/cm)

1151926110 29 FT11903 Ferritesheathwloss

Like the previous example...field concentration by means of the ferrite sheath. Efficiency is reduced somewhat because of the armature losses. There is a delay in force at beginning of firing cycle because of time-delay in field penetration into the armature. There is also a drag effect at the end of the firing cycle as a result of residual field and armature motion.

Thin lossless steel sheath with lossless steel armature (Bsat = 2.0T)

1151926421 29 FT11903 Steelsthnoloss

Here we model the effect of a thin (2.5mm thick) steel sheath. Note the escaping field lines (because of saturation of the sheath). This is what might be expected for a coil enclosed in a sheath of packed steel rods (electrically insulated from one another).

Lossy steel sheath and armature (Bsat=2.0T, sigma = 4.0e4S/cm)

1151926681 29 FT11903 Steellossy2

This final example coil is enclosed in a lossy 2.5mm thick steel jacket (much like a steel pipe). The armature is also lossy... Notice the finite time it takes for the flux to penetrate the shield and armature. A "flux drag" effect can be seen toward the end of the firing cycle.

EDIT 20060704
Added more detailed results to my Mass Accelerators web page. I focused on the two aspects:

• 1. enclosing the coil in a flux-enhancing shield,
    2. and an initial attempt to quantify the effects of armature eddy currents on coilgun performance.

WaveRider
Wed Jul 12 2006, 10:56AM
An example of a "short" coilgun stage...

1152701681 29 FT11903 Movieout

Many launchers in the literature seem to have stages that are wider than thay are long... Thought I would model one here!

WaveRider
Mon Aug 28 2006, 12:30PM
Hi all.. Hope everyone had a great summer break!

I didn't have much time for projects this summer, but I did manage to run some simulations to study the effects of ferromagnetic shields and losses on reluctance coilgun performance... I put together a brief report on the subject found here. Or, just go to my mass accelerators page and look for the document titled “Notes on the effects of metallic coil sheaths and armature losses in reluctance coilguns”. Hopefully it offers some useful insight for practical designs...

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: