Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Putting many diodes in series for a HV diode.

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Tue Jun 21 2011, 07:31PM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Ive seen a few mentions here on the forum about putting many diodes in series to make a single Hv diode, my question is...

[Given a square wave of 100kHz at Hv with a steep V rise and fall at 10-20kV,at a Duty cycle of about 50%.]

(1) Do I have to use avalanche rated diodes?

(2) Would the HER108 be a good chioce? I have 700+ Pcs.
]her108.pdf[/file] (says nothing about avalanche, so I presume its not rated.)

(3) What about the "balancing" rule, ive been told to multiply the PIV by 500 to find the parallel resistence needed? (so in my case PIV =1Kv, so 1000V x 500 = 500k Ohms)

I have 1000+ Pcs of 10M Ohms, 1/4 watt resistors. So Id rather use 10M than 500k.

Problem: If I follow this rule, 1000V / 500k = 0.002 amps, 0.002 amp x 1000V = 2 watts for each sereis resistor! Thats a pretty hefty load.
Dr. ISOTOP
Tue Jun 21 2011, 07:39PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
You can:
(1) Use avalanche rated diodes
(2) Balance with resistors and capacitors
or
(3) [my favorite, since it is easier than (2) and cheaper than (1)] build a string of at least twice the desired standoff voltage.
Patrick
Tue Jun 21 2011, 07:43PM
bwang wrote ...

You can:
(1) Use avalanche rated diodes
(2) Balance with resistors and capacitors
or
(3) [my favorite, since it is easier than (2) and cheaper than (1)] build a string of at least twice the desired standoff voltage.
Bwang and others, what do you think of the 100Khz and Trr in ns... i need oppinons on this please, will that cuase problems with balancing on/off times and voltage?
Proud Mary
Tue Jun 21 2011, 07:49PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
The tolerances and characteristics of diode rectifiers have become much more homogenous over the last forty years as manufacturing techniques have evolved, and one tends not to see the strings of equalizing resistors and capacitors once thought necessary in days gone by.

Rather than adding a whole lot of dissipative supplementary components - which themselves may fail - I'd suggest very generous de-rating. With HER108, the RMS max is 700 V,
so I'd treat it as though this figure was 350 V. This gives you a lot of slack for voltage drop differences between the individual diodes

It's usually much more expensive to dismantle a malfunctioning circuit than it is to avoid malfunction by generously de-rating inexpensive parts.
Patrick
Tue Jun 21 2011, 07:54PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

It's usually much more expensive to dismantle a malfunctioning circuit than it is to avoid malfunction by generously de-rating inexpensive parts.
I tend to agree with your point Proud Mary. And with fewer types of parts (even with more D's) , lower cost and less to go wrong (no more R's and C's).
Proud Mary
Tue Jun 21 2011, 08:15PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Patrick wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

I tend to agree with your point Proud Mary. And with fewer types of parts (even with more D's) , lower cost and less to go wrong (no more R's and C's).

I think all EE courses should have an industrial economics module, because 99% of real world EE is concerned with manufacturing products or providing services which must compete in the marketplace.
Patrick
Tue Jun 21 2011, 08:18PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I think all EE courses should have an industrial economics module, because 99% of real world EE is concerned with manufacturing products or providing services which must compete in the marketplace.

Yes! You are right, I had professor who went over all of the common modes and costs of failure for EE people, but he just got laid off here at Chico.
Adam Munich
Tue Jun 21 2011, 10:12PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

The tolerances and characteristics of diode rectifiers have become much more homogenous over the last forty years as manufacturing techniques have evolved, and one tends not to see the strings of equalizing resistors and capacitors once thought necessary in days gone by.

It's gotten to the point where even some x-ray manufacturers just string up diodes, even kodak.

Patrick
Tue Jun 21 2011, 10:25PM
OK, good enough then ... HER108's in series it is.

Ash Small
Wed Jun 22 2011, 12:13AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

It's called 'Production Engineering' (part of most engineering courses), something which most 'academics' have little time for... smile
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: