Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

EM Rockets Launched! Video!!

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
FastMHz
Sun Jun 11 2006, 05:34PM Print
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
I launched my electromagnetic rockets "EMRockets" a short while ago and just finished editing together the footage. The footage shows induction launched rockets at progressively higher voltages...the higher the voltage, the more altitude, but also the more Gs, and therefore the rockets get destroyed frown It's back to the drawing board to build a rocket that can withstand more than one full power launch...

Rocket Launching
joshua_
Sun Jun 11 2006, 07:02PM
joshua_ Registered Member #61 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:50AM
Neat! I saw that you got the true-to-form "four fins on the launch pad" afterwards :)

Very very cool.
Marko
Sun Jun 11 2006, 08:47PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Maybe you could make a rocket with engine that activates when rocket begins to 'fall' and continues proppeling smile

I guess you'l need to make bases of rockets tougher, tough.
Quantum Singularity
Mon Jun 12 2006, 05:09PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Looking good! Thanks for capturing the excitement on video and sharing with us! What software do you use to make your videos... yours always come out pretty good. To bad you couldnt get the rocket to show up against the sky when it launches on the zoomed-out video... wonder if you painted it black or something... but still I think the sky pretty much will wash anything small out.
FastMHz
Tue Jun 13 2006, 11:50PM
I use Premiere for my videos..and yes, it's a legal copy wink You can actually follow the rocket off the frame in my original source video but WMV distorts it enough to make it disappear frown I'll spray paint the next ones with neon paint. BTW, those were all launched from a 12v 5ah battery!
Self Defenestrate
Wed Jun 14 2006, 01:30AM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
As for the idea of strapping an engine to it, a mercury switch would work well. As the rocket slows down and reaches apogee, the mercury will fly up and complete a circuit to fire an engine. Common practice when staging engines electricly. Cool video, and may I suggest day-glo orange, shows up well in bright skys.
Jasonr
Wed Jun 14 2006, 05:18PM
Jasonr Registered Member #167 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 06:41PM
Nice project, any idea how high they are going? What ga magnet wire are you using? and how many turns? I see it is a dual layer coil?

nice scr's! btw

Jason
FastMHz
Thu Jun 15 2006, 05:29PM
Unfortunately I don't know how high they're going...I need an altimeter, though I suppose I could listen carefully and time the launch until crashdown to estimate the height....what would the formula for that be?

The wire is 14awg magnet wire...same stuff used in all my other CGs and launchers. The only difference is that this coil is only 2.5" in diameter, instead of 3.5"....don't know how many turns...I just wrapped it until it was the right diameter as I built the coil for the aluminum slugs I'm using, which are 2.5" diameter and 3/8" thick. It is a dual layer coil, though I think I'm going to make a 3 layer one as the current is vaporizing the solder before I can fire the bank at full capacity. My 3.5" diameter DL coils had each layer in parallel...this smaller one has them in series.
Jasonr
Fri Jun 16 2006, 01:24AM
Jasonr Registered Member #167 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 06:41PM
have you played with difffernt sizes and thickness AL? I am curiuos why so think of AL? and why you picked that thickness.

also I am thinking if where you soldered you connections if you were to twist them with a pliers and then solder them if they would hold up better. I saw that on your web site.

but this is fun enough that I might just build one. since I have a small 3.6kJ bank sitting right here.
Wilson
Fri Jun 16 2006, 03:07AM
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
The formula to calculate the total height displacement, using only a time is as follows:

S=ut+0.5at^2
u=initial velocity (m/s)
t=time (sec)
a=acceleration due to gravity = 9.8ms^-2
Now, you need the time it takes for it to fall from the apex of its flight, to the ground. u=0 at the apex of flight, so the formula becomes:
s=0.5 x 9.8 x t^2
Sub in the time in secs for an approximation (air resistance isn't considered here) of the total height in meters

Hope this helps,
Wilson
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: