All today's birthdays', congrats!
Plasmana (31)
porkcake (52)

Next birthdays
03/20 Paul I (37)
03/20 Sigurthr (38)
03/21 Dr Who (40)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ARC STARTER AND STABILIZER - COMPLETED

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Newton Brawn
Fri Apr 01 2011, 10:00PM Print
Newton Brawn Registered Member #3343 Joined: Thu Oct 21 2010, 04:06PM
Hi !

Here the complete arc starter to be attached to a buzzbox, tig, or a plasma cutter.

Description:

]arc_starter_original_complete_w-rev2_in_pdf.pdf[/ file]

Drawings:

]des_arc_starter_and_stabilizer_r2.pdf[/file]
]des_sssg_schematics_r2.pdf[/file]
]des_tungsten_carbide_spark_gap_r3.pdf[/file]
]des_pulse_transformer__coupling_coil_r2.pdf[/ file]
]des_hv_glass_capacitor__r2.pdf[/file]

Pictures:
Parafernalia to measure the HV pulses and spark gap used in begin of project.
Device to wind the pulse transformer - a turn counter and cranckcase. Also a C clamp to hold the device in the table, polyester paper to insulate the layers of the coil, a ferrite core from a tv, a coil after the impregnation.

1301695036 3343 FT0 P Aparatus To Measure High Voltage  Spark Gap
[/img]]
1301695125 3343 FT0 P A Cranckcase And Turn Counter Dscf0058

There are more pictures and a video.

Regards

Newton
Ash Small
Sat Apr 02 2011, 06:02AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Very nice work Newton. Do you have any photos of the complete unit?

I'm making some new heatsinks to upgrade my rectifier at the moment and I hope to get my HF arcstarter down here soon (it's in storage 200 miles away at the moment, along with my buzzbox).

Once I've done that I'll post some details of mine, which is simpler, but runs continuously.
Newton Brawn
Sun Apr 03 2011, 11:49PM
Hi Ash Small !

SIm, I have several pictures showing the device under test. It is a assemble not 100% beatiful, but just to put the components together and allow changes in te schematic.

I have a short video, "15+kV in the hands", however I could not attache to the forum. Maybe I can send direct to you

I have tested other circuits simpler tham this one, let me know the schematic of your arc starter.

Regard

Newton

Pictures:

Arc Starter Under Test
Back Picture
Tungsten Carbide Spark Gap

1301874500 3343 FT112240 Arc Starter Under Test Pic2 Dscf0075

1301874500 3343 FT112240 Back Picture Pic2 Dscf0076

1301874500 3343 FT112240 Tungsten Carbite Spark Gap Pic2 Dscf0080
Ash Small
Mon Apr 04 2011, 03:01PM
I'll try to draw a circuit from memory later (it's ten years since built it).

In the meantime I'll upload an animated GIF that I created from a basic 3D model I drew when designing a case for it.

1301929306 3414 FT112240 Tig

(EDIT: Looks like you need to 'click' on the above image to see the animation)

The case is about 12"X12"X18".

I'll start by decribing the layout of components on the front panel.

First, there are the two input and two output glands for the welding current, along with 240V in and argon in/out.

There is the argon flowmeter/controller in the centre, on/off switch on the upper right, and a 'power on' indicator and coloured lens through which I can see the sparkgap, for positive conformation that it is functioning. (the sparkgap is an unsuppressed automotive spark plug).

The three long cylindrical components on the left hand side at the bottom are the hand-rolled HV capacitors. Two of these form part of the HF choke (low pass filter), the other forms part of the spark tank circuit.

Above these are, at the rear, the heatsink cooled by two computer case fans (one blowing, one sucking) which houses the 2N3055 transistor that switches the flyback transformer. (There is a cutout in the back panel for cooling, along with louvres in the sides of the case).

The rest of the switching circuit (two resistors) is housed in front of the heatsink, above the HV capacitors. (along with the flyback transformer, with a ten turn primary and four turn feedback winding)

The box-shaped item at the right lower rear is the 12V wall-wart that privides power to the switching circuit for the flyback, and also powers the cooling fans on the transistor heatsink..

In front of this, (lower right centre) is the choke, which, along with two of the HV capacitors, stops the HF getting back into the rectifier and buzzbox. (The choke is wound on a 50Hz toroidal transformer core)

The component at the left front is the air cored transformer that superimposes the HF onto the welding current. This is arranged in a different orientation to the choke in order to minimize any interference between these two components.

I'll try to provide a circuit diagram and more details later.

(work in progress......)
Newton Brawn
Mon Apr 04 2011, 04:50PM
Hi All

It appears that we can not open the last picture , so I m attaching again.

Regards

1301935785 3343 FT112240 P Tungsten Carbite Spark Gap Pic2 Dscf0080
Newton Brawn
Sat Apr 09 2011, 08:54PM
Ash Small ,

What bring my attention is yours hand made capacitors....Can you provide a good description of its construction ???

Please let me know the schematic of your arc stater, I am really interested on it.

Regards

EDIT: Change of contraction to construction
Ash Small
Sun Apr 10 2011, 02:30AM
I'm planning to make some more capacitors this week, so I'll write it up and provide some photos.
Ash Small
Sun Apr 10 2011, 04:45PM
The World's Simplest HF DC TIG welder (schematic).

I built this ten years ago, but I'm pretty certain it is accurate.

(not sure if the second capacitor (50 nano) on the HF choke is required, or if the 'mains protection choke' on the wall wart is required, I added them as a precaution, so, in theory, it could be even simpler.

I've not tried other values for capacitors, or number of turns on air core transformer, as it worked OK first time I tried it (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), but knowing what I know now, I'd probably try some different values. I think the value of the resistor was 330 K Ohms (it was 330 something, I think)

I also might add some protection for the 2N3055 transistor. (I forgot to add the two PC fans cooling the transistor heatsink)

1302453905 3414 FT112240 Hf
Newton Brawn
Wed Apr 13 2011, 02:24PM
Ash;

Following the World's Simplest HF DC TIG welder (schematic as previous thread ):
I am also not shure about the real need of the iron core bifilar choke on the output of the rectifier ON PREVENTING THE HV molesting the rectifiers.
Following the schema you can see that the HF from the coupling coil can reach very easy the rectifiers and the secondary of welder transformer. This is because the choque capacitance between turns and other stray components.
A capacitor 0.2 ~~ 2uF from the + of the rectifier to ground and other cap of same value from - of rectifier to ground will reduce the HV HF to very low magnitude, avoiding the HF bad effects on rectifies and buzzbox components.
Miller HF15, HF251 and several other machines do not use bifilar choke. Just caps to block the HF.

Note that in the previous thread schema the bifilar choque shall be coiled with wire size suitable for high current.

Also a DC choke just after the rectifier bridge is fine to smooth the rectifier 120Hz pulsing current, giving some help stabilizing the arc.

The values 330Kohms and 0.02uF cap look ok. One discharge evey 5 ~~10 milesecond, controled by the adjustment of gap distance of spark gap. The result is HF pulses not synchronized with the pulsing dc output of the buzzbox... Some misfire during the stabilizing process.

Next time, I wiil show a simpler arc starter ckt

Regards

Newton

Ash Small
Wed Apr 13 2011, 02:43PM
Newton Brawn wrote ...

The values 330Kohms and 0.02uF cap look ok. One discharge evey 5 ~~10 milesecond, controled by the adjustment of gap distance of spark gap. The result is HF pulses not synchronized with the pulsing dc output of the buzzbox... Some misfire during the stabilizing process.

I think the frequency is higher than 5-10 milliseconds. The resistor plays no part in determining frequency, it simply blocks the current circulating in the tank from getting back to the secondary of the flyback. (it follows the path of least resistance).

Frequency is determined by the 20 nano farad capacitor and inductance of the primary of the air core transformer, which I wasn't able to measure when I built it (ten turns 25 mm diameter by ~120 long).

At least, this was the theory I used when I designed it.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: