Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Movement of the magnetic north pole is causing problems for aviation, navigation and wildlife

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Sun Mar 06 2011, 07:54AM Print
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Adjust your compass now: the north pole is migrating to Russia
Movement of the magnetic north is causing problems for aviation, navigation and wildlife

By Guy Adams,
The Independent,
Sunday, 6 March 2011

It sounds unlikely but it's true: the magnetic north pole is moving faster than at any time in human history, threatening everything from the safety of modern transport systems to the traditional navigation routes of migrating animals.

Scientists say that magnetic north, which for two centuries has been in the icy wilderness of Canada, is currently relocating towards Russia at a rate of about 40 miles a year. The speed of its movement has increased by a third in the past decade, prompting speculation that the field could be about to "flip", causing compasses to invert and point south rather than north, something that happens between three and seven times every million years.

Already the phenomenon is causing problems in the field of aviation. Tampa International airport in Florida has just spent a month renaming its three runways, which in common with those at most US airports are identified using numbers that correspond to the direction, in degrees, that they face on a compass. "Everything had to be changed; it was a huge project," Brenda Geoghagan, a spokeswoman for the airport, said.

The current rate of magnetic north's movement away from Canada's Ellesmere Island is throwing out compasses by roughly one degree every five years, prompting the US Federal Aviation Administration to re-evaluate runway names across the country every five years. Similar changes were recently made to runways at Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach.

Geologists believe that magnetic north pole (which is different from the true North Pole, the axis on which the Earth spins) moves around due to changes in the planet's molten core, which contains liquid iron. They first located it in 1831, and have been attrying to follow its progress ever since.

Records indicate that the pole's location barely moved in the early decades, but in about 1904, it began tracking north-east at a rate of about nine miles a year. That speed increased significantly from about 1989, possibly because of a "plume" of magnetism deep below ground. The pole is now believed to be heading towards Siberia at about 37 miles each year. "Earth's magnetic field is changing in time. And as far as we know, it has always been changing in time," geophysicist Jeffrey Love of the US Geological Survey in Colorado told Discovery News, which investigated the issue last week.

GPS systems, which rely on satellites, have replaced compasses as the means by which the majority of professional navigators orientate themselves. But compasses are still valuable, and are widely used by hikers and other amateur map-readers. In some environments, such as underwater or beneath ground, which cannot be reached by satellite signals, they remain the only option. The oil industry, which uses magnets to determine which angle it should drill into the earth, needs to keep track of the exact location of magnetic north.

Birds that fly south for the winter, along with migratory sea creatures, could face confusion. Long-living animals, such as whales and turtles, may in future be required to recalibrate their navigational instincts.

Despite the cost and inconvenience of altering runway names, not to mention the indignity of losing magnetic north to Russia, inhabitants of North America stand to benefit from the changes in at least one respect: it will give them more opportunities to observe the aurora borealis.

No one can predict the impact of "polar reversal", during which magnetic north and south reverse, since one hasn't happened for 780,000 years, the longest stable period in the past 5 million years. Some geologists think we could be about to find out, though: they believe that the current changes to magnetic north could be the early stages of a "flip". But Mr Love says we shouldn't be too concerned. "Reversals typically take about 10,000 years to happen," he said. "And 10,000 years ago civilisation did not exist. These processes are slow, and therefore we don't have anything to worry about."
Sulaiman
Sun Mar 06 2011, 10:55AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I don't really care where the magetic poles are provided they are not too far from the true poles and consistently strong.
What concerns me is if the overall magnetic field weakens enough to let solar shit come blasting through, or if the magnetic poles were near the equator allowing solar stuff to blast down on people.
I would be ok because I've got a tin-foil hat, it's all the 'normal' people that concern me.
In UK only about 10,000 homes are protected with aluminium foil lined rooms (cannabis growers) the rest of us may suffer. Time to legalise home-growing I think !

P.S. As a Muslim the reversal of the earth's magnetic poles indicates to me that the end of our world is near ( Koran : when the Sun rises in the West) which somewhat concerns me.
Conundrum
Sun Mar 06 2011, 11:33AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
hm..
Interestingly the current theory is that a big enough solar flare resulting in a coronal mass ejection could provide enough energy to initiate the flip if the field is already close to doing so anyway..

-A
(wonder if my balloon based magnetometer will be working when the next massive solar flare hits?)
Adam Munich
Sun Mar 06 2011, 03:11PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Crap, if the pole flips garmin better release an update for my GPS. mistrust
Ash Small
Sun Mar 06 2011, 03:56PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Grenadier wrote ...

Crap, if the pole flips garmin better release an update for my GPS. mistrust

GPS works on satellites, not magnetism. See earlier posts.

Adam Munich
Sun Mar 06 2011, 06:25PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
But mine has a built in magnetic compass IC...
IntraWinding
Mon Mar 07 2011, 04:26PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
Is there much known about the actual flipping process, like how long does it take?
Nicko
Mon Mar 07 2011, 05:02PM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

In UK only about 10,000 homes are protected with aluminium foil lined rooms (cannabis growers) the rest of us may suffer. Time to legalise home-growing I think !
Ehhhem! If you have a house built to current UK building regs, most plasterboard will be foil backed.

I cannot use WiFi in the house now, even though its very old (over 150 years) as when we rebuilt it to current specs, each room is now a mini Faraday Cage.

I have 3 repeaters for the DECT phones as otherwise they won't work between floors and they are supposed to have a 300 ft range in the open - I barely get 10ft in the house...

And, no, we don't grow our own - though we do grow all our fruit & veg.

Cheers
JCM
Mon Mar 07 2011, 06:24PM
JCM Registered Member #3559 Joined: Sun Jan 02 2011, 01:19AM
Ive heard that a polar shift or flip can happen in a matter of hours or days althought the article says 10000 years. I dont know how that information came about but Ive heard it a number of times. Its supposed to cause extreme weather like 200-300 mph winds, that would be like having the earth sand blasted.
Conundrum
Mon Mar 07 2011, 07:58PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Nicko, didn't they consider this problem when they wrote the regs?

I'm thinking perhaps cut some small holes in the foils which are twice the wavelength so that the signal gets through?

-A
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: