Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ring Launcher Test Results

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
FastMHz
Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:13AM Print
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
Still using my somewhat sloppy coil, I've been getting some encouraging results so far in my tests:

Ring - 3.5" hard disc platter
Weight - 22g
Speed - 57.3288 m/s
Efficiency - ~2.1%

Ring - 3.5" 5/16 self cut aluminum disc
Weight - 58g
Speed - 60.68568 m/s
Efficiency - ~6.2%

Is this in line with what others have gotten in ring launchers? I'm having a blast with this thing...pun intended wink

Guess I should specify power source. It's the same cap bank as I used for the coilgun...700v, 1.7kj, SCR switched
Dr. Shark
Thu Feb 16 2006, 01:59PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Is that an electrolytic capacitor bank you are using? If so, I am surprised about the efficiency, as I thought you need a really fast pulse for these induction type launchers.
Um, may I ask, how did you measure the speed to six significan digits?
FastMHz
Thu Feb 16 2006, 08:02PM
Yes, it's an electrolytic bank. I'm not sure if they're pulse rated or computer grade, but the terminals are large enough for major current. I have them wired as 4 in parallel and then those 2 parallel banks in series for 700v. I use 3 SCRs in parallel to trigger them. I have a chronograph which can measure up to 7000fps...I take the FPS measurement and plug it into a standard to metric converter to get that number. The significant digits beyond hundredths probably aren't necessary or useful but I posted all data anyway.

I too am surprised at the efficiency. i just wound a "perfect" coil that's curing in epoxy at this very moment, so I'll see if it gets more efficient. The old coil is getting pretty deformed now and the epoxy is cracking all over. I finally got some pics of everything here:

Link

EDIT: OK, my new "perfect" coil is cured and I was anxious to try it...and it DID improve my results:

Velocity - 67.60464 m/s
Weight - 58g
Energy In - 1.7kj
Energy Out - 132.54j
Efficiency - 7.7%

Is that possible or am I doing the math wrong? I must have ended up with a very well matched system if this is correct. It sure is powerful...151 mph flying discs. It's disc-structive!
Quantum Singularity
Sat Feb 25 2006, 07:34AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Did you change much with the coil... what do you mean by perfect? When I was launching disks I tried two coils, one that was #12 awg and 20-some turns and one that was #8awg adn 10 turns. There seemed to be not much noticable difference but had no chrono. How do you launch yours... vertical or other? And how do you position your chrono?
FastMHz
Mon Feb 27 2006, 08:18PM
Perfect meaning wrapped tightly and without any gaps in the wire, and no overlapping. It's then coated in epoxy. My coils are 14awg magnet wire wrapped to the 3.5" diameter with a nickel sized hole in the middle. I also use no center post. I launch horizontally and the setup I use is illustrated in this drawing:
Quantum Singularity
Fri Mar 03 2006, 04:08AM
Thanks for the info FastMHz. I will be buying a chrono sometime before summer. I'll probably buy one localy so if I toast it with EMP I can take it back and say it was defective wink I'll probably have to space it quite a bit away from the coil. I am going to attempt to use both my maxwell caps for a couple experiments this summer like a disk launcher and maybe try shrinking some quarters. I am also going to try to actually build some kind of projectile for my disk launcher instead of just a disk (not very aerodynamic) - like take some pvc pipe with some kind of round nose attached and the disk attached at the base of the pipe. Maybe even make a barrel for it. Should also be more visible to the eye when launching, and when searching for it out in the field.
FastMHz
Fri Mar 03 2006, 06:41PM
I'm anxious to see your projectile with the cone...I was thinking similarly...it would be need to make a rocket looking thing and launch it straight up in the back yard wink

EDIT: I was contemplating my own RingRocket and your idea for PVC, however PVC is quite heavy. Do you know of another material which may be strong but without the weight? Perhaps thick cardboard like wrapping paper comes on, or one of those plastic Folgers coffee containers? I'm on the hunt for 3.5" diameter containers to use as a rocket tube wink You've got me going in as new direction with this launcher!
Quantum Singularity
Thu Mar 09 2006, 01:48AM
Good luck and if you find a good material to use then let me know. I too was thinking pvc would be heavy but that was just an example - I was going to look at various plastic jars / containers etc. till I found something good.

I must say though that depending on the design, I think this type of launcher can drive a good amount of weight. A hard drive disk is very light. I put a short section of 2x4 on top of the disk just to see what would happen with the extra weight. The wood probably increased the weight by well over 10x. I was surprised that the disk and the 2x4 went probably half the hieght or more than just the disk alone. Perhaps the disk alone was too light and accelerated off the coil while it was still pulsing up. The extra weight would then slow the launch down enough to utilize more of the energy? I havent given it much thought or made any kinda simulation but there should be a way to optimize the pulse length vs. projectile wieght & acceleration.
Dr. Shark
Thu Mar 09 2006, 09:25AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Fast MHZ, you have some great results there! I was at first sceptical about your figures for velocity, but seeing what your coil does to a can confirms that there must be some power there. I suspect that the thickness of your disk helps coupling lots of the magnetic field - other setups I have seen used much thiner disks.

Have you tried shooting _not_ at the chrono and checking if it displays something, due to EM interference?

Paralleling your SCRs is probably useless, as they dont have a resistance but a voltage drop, most of the current will end up going through only one of them.

What kind of backstop do you use? 100J could do some serious damage and kill your dog, if you are not carefull smile
Plasmaniac
Thu Mar 09 2006, 02:01PM
Plasmaniac Registered Member #206 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 03:17PM
I calculate the projectiles speed by the height it travels, which is very inaccurate(air resistance). And I get efficiency <6% with my 100J design. A bigger 500J version is allready in work.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: