Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A Birthday Plot Uncovered!

Move Thread LAN_403
Chris Russell
Sat Jun 03 2006, 04:03AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Well, to all of you who participated in Dave's great deception, congrats. I was really and truly surprised, when this afternoon the UPS guy brought me a package. I figured Dave was being funny, and decided to ship the used Icom IC-718 ( Link2 ) that he'd been promising (and I was really looking forward to!) a little earlier than he let on. Boy was I wrong. Instead, I found a brand-spanking new Yaesu FT-857D ( Link2 ). I couldn't believe it. Hell, I still can't. This is my dream radio. This radio is at the top of a very short list of radios that I might actually kill to own, or at least bludgeon.

The fact that so many of you participated in this is really overwhelming. I'm not ashamed to say that I was touched nearly to the point of tears. I don't know how I can thank you all for this. I generally consider myself an articulate person, but I simply cannot find the words to express my gratitude. Thank you, everyone. I could scarcely have dreamed of a better birthday present.

For those of you who are interested, here: Link2 is a short album of me playing with the radio, along with my highly ghetto temporary antenna setup. (the cardboard box radio was an ongoing gag between Dave and I)

I suppose that's all I can say for now. I just spent the last eight hours getting to know the new radio, and I'm sure it will consume many more hours in the near future. Any of you hams who might want a QSO, let me know! I hope to be capable on all bands from 160M-6M within the next two weeks, give or take. I intend to get a TON of use out of this radio.

Thank you again!!
Sat Jun 03 2006, 04:28AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Glad to hear!

It was the least we could do, this forum has been the biggest waste of my time since the internet cheesey (in a good way)
HV Enthusiast
Sat Jun 03 2006, 10:37AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Excellent. It was the least we could do being you spend so much time developing this awesome forum!!! Enjoy your new dream radio!!!

Dan
Steve Conner
Sat Jun 03 2006, 06:01PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Happy birthday Chris! smile I'd love to say "See you on 20m", but the transatlantic propagation has been pretty weird so far this year. I've hardly heard any US stations except for a few running 1500w into gain antennas. frown
Simon
Sun Jun 04 2006, 12:55AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
You deserve it, Chris!
Dave Marshall
Sun Jun 04 2006, 02:27PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
To everyone who helped me put this whole thing together, and donated their hard earned money to the cause, thank you. Chris has been discussing a variety of radio related projects for some time, but always seem hampered by a lack of good equipment.

I have a radio identical to the one we sent him, and I can say that its as close to 'good equipment' as you can get with a radio under $3500.

I was actually oblivious to the fact that his birthday was this month at first. That was just a bit of a bonus. I had heard that might be sometime in June, but didn't know for sure until the day before I went to pick the radio up.

Here's a picture of the radio prior to it being shipped. I think the sentiment expressed on the screen was apt cheesey
1149431120 16 FT10675 Twins

Once we sort out an antenna for Chris to use in his somewhat space restricted area, I'm sure all us hams will get to hear him on the air. We did manage a very brief contact on 14Mhz the day he got it, but the band wasn't cooperating, and his antenna was causing some RFI problems.

Dave
HV Enthusiast
Sun Jun 04 2006, 03:59PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
I wonder what Chris would think it we shipped him a 100ft tower antenna to his front door . . .
Cesiumsponge
Mon Jun 05 2006, 01:12AM
Cesiumsponge Registered Member #397 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:56AM
I didn't know it was the OMJ's b-day either when this whole thing was getting planned and executed but hopefully it won't cheapen the moment! cheesey
Chris Russell
Mon Jun 05 2006, 02:23AM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Well, I realize it wasn't really intended as a birthday present from its inception, but anything within several weeks of my birthday still counts as a birthday present in my book.

Dave, I really think most of the RFI was simply related to the fact that the antenna was just a few feet outside the window. I would practically have been in the near field of the antenna. The sound of my own voice was really freaking me out, though. I was worried that it was feeding into my neighbor's guitar amp and that the whole building could hear me, heh. Looks like it was just the radio behind me, though.

The good news is that I've got a nice long bit of coax headed my way, and I'm just about finalized on my antenna plans. In the meantime, I really still have a lot of other preparations to do. I just realized today that I don't even have any QSL cards! I also need to nail down some logging software, finish the digital interface to the radio, and organize my operating desk. smile Yes, I am quite happily busy.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: