All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vacuum Rectifiers X-rays report

Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Sat Feb 26 2011, 10:20PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
radhoo wrote ...

I don't think the parabolic path of the bremmstrahlung is what I've photographed

There is no parabolic path of bremmstrahlung.

The graphical curves are a way of illustrating the ratio of X-ray photons departing at any particular angle relative to the incident electron beam.

The lower the energy of the electrons, the more the X-ray photons tend towards an isotropic distribution - i.e. go in all directions of a sphere.
The higher the energy, the more the photons will tend to continue in the same direction as the incident electrons.

At the relatively low energy levels of these experiments - between about 15keV - 40keV - there will be considerable photon emission at all angles related to the incident electron beam.

A Google search for "Bremsstrahlung angular distribution" will lead you to more detailed explanations of this phenomenon. smile
radhoo
Sun Feb 27 2011, 09:35AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Thanks for the clarification.
So this means I might see changes in the fluorescent band as recorded here...
...if I vary the voltage across the tube. With my current setup I should be able to go from 10KV to 70KV (with more stress on the components).

As a remark to Link2 , the fluorescent screen shows a more illuminated area to the left and some shadows in the right part. If the shield is the target, this might be related to the angle the shield is placed at (not perfectly parallel to the base, and so not parallel to the fluorescent screen)
Proud Mary
Sun Feb 27 2011, 12:26PM
radhoo wrote ...

Thanks for the clarification.
So this means I might see changes in the fluorescent band as recorded here...
...if I vary the voltage across the tube. With my current setup I should be able to go from 10KV to 70KV (with more stress on the components).

As a remark to Link2 , the fluorescent screen shows a more illuminated area to the left and some shadows in the right part. If the shield is the target, this might be related to the angle the shield is placed at (not perfectly parallel to the base, and so not parallel to the fluorescent screen)

By George, he's got it! smile

Now as for your fluorescent bands, as you say, Radu, we may see a redistribution of the light intensity as you vary the tube voltage but the tube geometry, the non-linear energy response of both the phosphors and the human eye, the filtration of the rays by the glass envelope, etc, may make the effect hard to see across our voltage range.

So - when it comes to your turn to explain the angular distribution of bremmstrahlung, you only need mention the Koch and Motz bremsstrahlung double differential cross-section to see people's eyes glaze over, and bring the conversation to a speedy end! cheesey

I'm just getting the Sunday roast into the oven now, but hope that I might have some preliminary results tonight, if I'm quick, or by tomorrow anyway.
Wolfram
Sun Feb 27 2011, 11:16PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
radhoo wrote ...

ps: I got the tube on ebay. hope will perform better than the 2X2s :)

It definitely will. I'm really looking forward to seeing your results when you receive it.

Don't give up on the 2X2s though, there a lot of good science being done in this thread.
radhoo
Mon Feb 28 2011, 10:58AM
Anders M. wrote ...

Don't give up on the 2X2s though, there a lot of good science being done in this thread.
I won't. As per the thread's title, I still need to come with a final enclosure/setup for the tube, easy to deploy and use. Eirik might finish his first, maybe he'll post some pictures here later.

Proud Mary
Mon Feb 28 2011, 09:43PM
Is it a samovar? Is it a funeral urn for Chernobyl victims?

Just when I thought I'd be getting round to making some measurements, various shortfalls in the shielding regime became apparent, so I ended up spending my spare time making this:

1298927624 543 FT0 2x2a Shielding Assembly

2X2A Project: Baseplate and Shielding Assembly

I riveted 1.8mm lead sheet onto a length of 20cm dia. MDPE sewage pipe, which wasn't easy to cut square. The Pb joint is lapped together, and further sealed with self-adhesive Pb tape. The thick dielectric lining will hopefully reduce the incidence of unwelcome streamers trying to find a weakness in the EHT insulation.

Progress all the same!
plazmatron
Tue Mar 01 2011, 05:33PM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

Excellent pics, Les! This has been the most interesting thread in a long time. smile
I can recommend the X-Ray Studies book, that's where I read about the pinhole camera technique.

Thanks, I will check that out!

For those interested in the pics of the pinhole camera (its really not that exciting to look at though):

1299000238 1134 FT106277 Cone

Above is the lead cone that fits onto the intensifier assembly.

1299000238 1134 FT106277 Pinhole

The tip of the cone is truncated to mount the pinhole. The pinhole is made from a thinner piece of lead, and is simply taped in place.

1299000238 1134 FT106277 Pinholecam

The intensified fluoroscope is a Mullard (now Phillips) XX1332, with Gd2O2S:Tb scintillator bonded to its large 50mm diameter faceplate.

The cone sits neatly on the front. I still need to make a suitable mount for it, so I can set it up on a tripod for long exposures, I expect I will have some more pinhole pics by the end of the week.

Les
Mads Barnkob
Tue Mar 01 2011, 08:28PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I just wanted to say that this has turned out as a real quality thread with massive and exciting information in a field that I know little about!

Keep up the good work :)
radhoo
Tue Mar 01 2011, 08:36PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I riveted 1.8mm lead sheet onto a length of 20cm dia. MDPE sewage pipe, which wasn't easy to cut square. The Pb joint is lapped together, and further sealed with self-adhesive Pb tape. The thick dielectric lining will hopefully reduce the incidence of unwelcome streamers trying to find a weakness in the EHT insulation.
No need for gym when you move that thing around the house. Very nice setup!

Les, thanks for posting those pictures.
Proud Mary
Tue Mar 01 2011, 10:27PM
radhoo wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

No need for gym when you move that thing around the house. Very nice setup!

You know me by now, Radu - even the smallest indication above background outside the shield and I'll worry away at it and won't proceed further until the leak is stopped. Cable glands need special thought.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: