Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HV Resistors for HV measurement....

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Sun Dec 05 2010, 04:34AM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Please comment if you see a better way of doing things!

This is my first project thread post! I intend to show how I build/enclose resistors and resistive HV dividers. And then show how I have made measurements of HV. Let's get going!

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0199cropped
The basic components, made by Vishay/Dale.
ROX150 200M FKLBS -- 200Mohms, 11kV resistors

"FKLBS" suffix is defined as :
-- Tolerance +-1%
-- TCo, 100ppm
-- leads are Tin/Pb, Lacer
-- Solid Body, Axial, AL2O3

They are definately inductive.)(they are inductive but it seems to not cause any problems.)

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0204cropped
If you absolutley positively have to have plastics joined for critical purpose and function, then this PMMA is the best epoxy ever!!!

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0207cropped
components for case, terminal and resistor.
--Notice the hole in the all thread stud. solder filled.
--The all thread is 1.6" long, 10-24, steel.
--Endcap is 3/4", PVC.

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0209cropped
All pieces disassembled for cleaning.
--all pieces cleaned with acetone, flux, dirt, and ink on PVC washed away.
--Zig-zags in the leads keep the resistor and its leads near center.
--notice the flats, filed into the endcaps, a flat place for the nut and washer to live.

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0208cropped
Dry fit of all but the tube, checking form, fit, and function.
--Acetone is used to de-gloss the PVC just before epoxing.
--Acetone also sensitizes the PVC.

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0213cropped
Measurment and cutting of the tube body.
--Tube itself if 4.17" long.
--The two blue lines are 0.800" from each end.
--PVC pipe is 3/4" schedule 40. rated for 480 PSI I think.

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0217cropped
Epoxied the left most side.
--you could use normal PVC solvent glue to attach the endcaps, but you would need epoxy the hole.

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0216cropped
Vertical ready for dielectric fluid.
--cleaned with compressed air, for de-particle.

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0218cropped
Vertical, filled with extra light olive oil.
--Olive oil was chosen because of all food oils it changes its electrcal properties the least when exposed to copper/tin.
--Olive oil has a Dielectric strength similar to other oils, 300-500 volts/mil, i use the 300v/mil number.
--Olive oil is most resistent to oxidation changes.
--Olive oil is the most expensive, so use it wisely!
--Less then 5% of volume was headspace, dry air was prepared.

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0219croppedbest
Yet again.

1291526261 2431 FT1630 Sam 0222cropped
Final device, yay!
--this device does work as intended
--the oil mass keeps the 100ppm Tco from changing fast, more thermally stable then if only expose to air.

IMPROVEMENTS! : (Updated on 12/17/2010)

1292644800 2431 FT102386 Caddock Pvc1
This is again the basic design, all-thread rod (10-24), soldered to leads.

1292644801 2431 FT102386 Caddock Pvc2
Here's the lesson learned from the previous attempt:
The Problem:
-- When filled with oil, then pressing the cap on caused oil pressure to rise, eventually bursting through the all-thread/epoxy endcap.
The solution:
--I put the whole thing together with epoxy, and without oil. Then after the epoxy setup I drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 screw hole, then filled the body tube with oil. With proper headspace the hole was sealed with a nylon threaded set screw.

1292644801 2431 FT102386 Caddock Pvc3
Next, the area was cleaned with Acetone. More epoxy prepared and a curved PVC "cap-patch" was put over that nylon screw. Presto! liquid tight!

1292644801 2431 FT102386 Caddock Pvc4
The labels are temporary. I will make better ones with my laser printer, then laminate them.

1292648404 2431 FT1630 Caddock Pvc5
Final devices.
Proud Mary
Sun Dec 05 2010, 10:55AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Nice work, Patrick. smile
Arcstarter
Sun Dec 05 2010, 09:55PM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
I bought 5 of those same resistors. shades I figured since 2 other forum members (you and Radhoo) had them, why not! I will use 5 in series for a 50Kv meter for X-rays.

Keep up the good work!
radhoo
Sun Dec 05 2010, 10:20PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
hope we can get some good results if we do this together.
Patrick
Mon Dec 06 2010, 12:00AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

TY!

Arcstarter wrote ...

I bought 5 of those same resistors. shades I figured since 2 other forum members (you and Radhoo) had them, why not! I will use 5 in series for a 50Kv meter for X-rays.

Keep up the good work!
Remember that these are inductive but at a few uA maybe this does not matter. Caddock makes better resistors, but they are hard to have made for one peson, though Caddock spent several hours on the phone with me, knowing I was only a student not a corp. Caddock is top notch.

I was hoping to put two ressistors in "anti-series" to cancel out the inductance entirely.

radhoo wrote ...

Yeah I would like to collaborate.
Proud Mary
Mon Dec 06 2010, 12:52AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I've used 1G 40kV Russian resistors as R1 in simple divide-and-measure strings, but the ones I have are scattered over plus minus 5% and sometimes worse, so it's always meant measuring their resistance individually, and then calculating the value of R2 to preserve the 1000:1 ratio.

Whether this extra time and trouble is worthwhile or not I have no way of knowing, and am slightly sceptical about G-ohm measurements, because there are so many potential leakage paths shunting the main resistor.
Arcstarter
Mon Dec 06 2010, 01:24AM
Patrick wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

TY!

Arcstarter wrote ...

Keep up the good work!
Remember that these are inductive but at a few uA maybe this does not matter. Caddock makes better resistors, but they are hard to have made for one peson, though Caddock spent several hours on the phone with me, knowing I was only a student not a corp. Caddock is top notch.

I was hoping to put two ressistors in "anti-series" to cancel out the inductance entirely.

radhoo wrote ...

Yeah I would like to collaborate.

Does the inductance really matter with CW DC measurements? This would be used with an LOPT and X-ray tube (or whatever tube i torture into making me some X-rays) load.

Here is a stupid question that i am far too embarrassed about to post my own thread, but, i have a 50mv full scale deflection analog meter... What does that mean for current? Is it 50ma full scale deflection, or does the voltage really have nothing to do with current without a shunt resistance? If it was a 50ua meter i could just series the 5 resistors for a 50kv meter. Not like it matters, but it came with a 50mv @ 500 amp shunt.

I have never had an analog meter before, and apparently i need to be spoon fed.

I guess i will just use a 1.1M resistor and a 10M internal impedance DMM with manual ranging in parallel for the measuring resistance. Proud Mary suggested that one, so i am inclined to think that would work better than anything else i could come up with smile.
Patrick
Mon Dec 06 2010, 03:07AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I've used 1G 40kV Russian resistors as R1 in simple divide-and-measure strings, but the ones I have are scattered over plus minus 5% and sometimes worse, so it's always meant measuring their resistance individually, and then calculating the value of R2 to preserve the 1000:1 ratio.
yep, I do the same. but my meter tops out at 100Mohms.

Proud Mary wrote ...

Whether this extra time and trouble is worthwhile or not I have no way of knowing, and am slightly sceptical about G-ohm measurements, because there are so many potential leakage paths shunting the main resistor.
YES, YES, I too am suspicious of Giga- and Tera- ohm devices/measurements, for the same reason.
most of the North Star/Tektronix/others, use 200M to 800M for 80kV or less, only when they measure above 100kV do i start to see 1.6Gohm dividers. And yes such a small current, can be influenced by any bogus sources-like radio waves.

OK lookie here:

1291607459 2431 FT1630 Div
Arcstarter
Mon Dec 06 2010, 04:35AM
Sounds about right... 400Mohm it is! That is fine, 125uA, 6.25 watts shared between 2 5 watt resistors... And that means more current so less false readings. Sound fair enough? I can use the other 3 for something else.

EDIT: Well, these resistors are rated for only 11kv, so 22kv would be the rating of the seriesed resistors. That is half of 50kv tongue. But it takes 31.7kv to reach the rated dissipation, so does that mean that putting the resistor under oil would allow them to see much higher voltage? I was hoping to do this without oil, but it's fine if i do need it.
Patrick
Mon Dec 06 2010, 05:01AM
Arcstarter wrote ...

Sounds about right... 400Mohm it is! That is fine, 125uA, 6.25 watts shared between 2 5 watt resistors... And that means more current so less false readings. Sound fair enough? I can use the other 3 for something else.
Yes, I was thinking 400M too! But I measure AC @10 kHz so I want to put one with its resistence path CW, and the other CCW, in series thus canceling the inductance.

Arcstarter wrote ...

EDIT: Well, these resistors are rated for only 11kv, so 22kv would be the rating of the seriesed resistors. That is half of 50kv tongue. But it takes 31.7kv to reach the rated dissipation, so does that mean that putting the resistor under oil would allow them to see much higher voltage? I was hoping to do this without oil, but it's fine if i do need it.
I dont know, but I was told by Caddock via phone, that thier resistors are rated for the qouted number of Vmax, or heat (temp) dissipated, which ever comes first, so above a certain voltage you are V limited, below that number you are heat limited. But why not call them?
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: