All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ZVS flyback driver SSTC

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
ZakWolf
Sat Nov 06 2010, 08:06AM Print
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
I saw an old post where someone used a soda bottle and a ZVS flyback driver to make a SSTC.

Is this possible? If so how?

soda bottle tesla coil Link2
Sulaiman
Sun Nov 07 2010, 11:18AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
An sstc secondary needs to be driven with either
- a magnetic field
OR
- a voltage/current injected into the bottom end
at its resonant frequency.

SO you could use a zvs where the resonant inductor is
- a 'normal' sstc primary
OR
- the primary of a transformer with a high voltage secondary connected to the resonator base.

Which is best? ..... I prefer the 'normal' sstc primary approach as it's more 'efficient'
All you need is 2,4,6,.... primary turns centre-tapped.
(plus resonant capacitor, 2 transistors,diodes & resistors and the series/dc inductor)
Arcstarter
Sun Nov 07 2010, 07:15PM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
LittleVenture wrote ...

I saw an old post where someone used a soda bottle and a ZVS flyback driver to make a SSTC.

Is this possible? If so how?

soda bottle tesla coil Link2
Not only can you use the driver, but it can be made to work incredibly well. I believe it was Vasil from this forum that made a sstc (actually, it is a dual resonant sstc, but parallel resonance instead of series resonance) with the same circuit and something like 24" sparks and impressively small heatsinks.
ZakWolf
Mon Nov 08 2010, 02:58AM
so how many turns do i need for the primary?
Arcstarter
Mon Nov 08 2010, 04:49AM
LittleVenture wrote ...

so how many turns do i need for the primary?
Think about how the driver itself works... You'll need to make the primary and tank cap resonate at the frequency of your secondary. Use a sgtc tank circuit calculator to find what inductance and capacitance makes what frequency. About 3+3 would be a good place to start.
ZakWolf
Mon Nov 08 2010, 05:30PM
I wound a 3+3 primary and hooked that to the driver i turned it on and didnt get anything. Do i need to use some sort of capacitor or am i doing something wrong?
Matt Edwards
Tue Nov 16 2010, 07:16PM
Matt Edwards Registered Member #2838 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 07:55PM
When I attempted a similar project I used a 30kv 1000pf cap and spark gap before the primary of the coil. I also center tapped each turn on the primary for tuning. It was setup in a similar fashion to a SGTC tank between the flyback and primary. If you do what was suggested by arcstarter and adjust the primary resonance to match the secondary you should be good to go. But I have only seen a small handful of flyback driven coils that produced decent results.
Arcstarter
Tue Nov 16 2010, 08:44PM
Oidium45 wrote ...

When I attempted a similar project I used a 30kv 1000pf cap and spark gap before the primary of the coil. I also center tapped each turn on the primary for tuning. It was setup in a similar fashion to a SGTC tank between the flyback and primary. If you do what was suggested by arcstarter and adjust the primary resonance to match the secondary you should be good to go. But I have only seen a small handful of flyback driven coils that produced decent results.
He is not talking about a SGTC, he is talking about a sstc with the ZVS driver directly driving the primary. It works, and produces fantastic results due to the low switching loss nature of the driver, if made well.

What do you mean by "Do i need some sort of capacitor"? Before you use a Tesla coil setup, just try it on a flyback transformer with a tank cap of around .68uf or whatever you want to use.

The capacitor for the sstc will be a much lower capacitance to shift the resonant frequency of the tank circuit way up, to match the secondary's resonant frequency. In that respect, it is a dual resonant sstc, but it is parallel resonance and will give sparks like a typical sstc.

But because of this, there is no secondary feedback, so the primary resonance will have to be adjusted according to secondary loading. The primary resonance may shift a bit when the secondary is loaded due to the coupling, but im not sure how far from resonance it will get.

The tank capacitor will have to be accurate within pf range to insure you get the right freq. Primary inductance can also be tweaked to get the right resonant freq. Look at Richie Burnett's graph of the resonance of a Tesla secondary. Link2 As you can see, just a tiny % away from resonance makes a big difference in the output voltage. The page explaining this graph is here: Link2
Matt Edwards
Wed Nov 17 2010, 12:54AM
Matt Edwards Registered Member #2838 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 07:55PM
My mistake. I should have read the thread more thoroughly. If you get your coil operational you should post some photographs, schematics, etc... As I said before, I tried something similar a while back but couldn't find info online so I ended up going for a spark gap setup which performed poorly.
ZakWolf
Wed Nov 17 2010, 06:57AM
I am really confused... My ZVS flyback driver works awesome for my flybacks. My ZVS flyback driver has 3 out puts of course i was wondering why i need a capaictor i thought it would be just like a big flyback basically. I just wound 3+3 around the base of the secondary and nothing happened i will try some more and if i get it working i will post info cheesey

Could someone make a simple schematic please thanks
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: